How long will a hen stay broody?

Lroach711

Songster
9 Years
Mar 17, 2010
Pickens, SC
I have a Dominique hen that has been broody for approx. 2 weeks..I don't have a rooster in the pen with her & have been collecting any eggs that get layed from under her. I know you can separate them and try to break them from being broody, but I was wondering how long will she last if I don't give her eggs to hatch. I could probably separate her if I had to, but I don't have a great place to put her.

They stay broody for a long time if you don't "break" them or let them have chicks or eggs to hatch.....some will stay for 2 months not good for the hen. You have a dog carrier that big enough for her to be in? I've used that to get then over it and I have a rabbit cage I've had to use on a more persistent one the sooner you try and stop her from broodiness the better it will be.

I had a cochin go broody and i figured she would get over it on her own but after 5 weeks she was still sitting tight. So i gave her eggs to hatch and she sat right through the incubation and looked after the chick till it was 6 weeks old. So thats about 14 weeks. From now on i just break them myself
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom