How long will chicken keep in fridge?

jmorriso

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jul 28, 2010
Long time reader, first time poster.

I slaughtered some young roosters a week and 1/2 ago because there was too much testosterone in my little flock. I sectioned, bagged and froze all the good parts after a 3 day rest in the fridge. I then took the backs, necks and feet and put them in some lightly salted water and let them sit, thinking I was going to make some stock soon and freeze it. However, life got in the way and here it is a week and 1/2 down and the pot's still in the fridge. Is it ok to make stock out of that stuff now, or has it been too long and I should throw it out?

I personally think it is alright still, as long as you make the stock today or tomorrow. Most of the supermarket birds have been dead and refrigerated for 2 weeks when you buy them, then they might sit in your fridge for another 3 or 4 days, and they are still safe (when cooked at a high enough temperature) and edible (when cooked by a capable person).

Most of the supermarket birds have been dead and refrigerated for 2 weeks when you buy them, then they might sit in your fridge for another 3 or 4 days

That's exactly what I was thinking. I made my stock that night. Its freezing in muffin tins and storage containers right now.​

I would also think it's fine, espessially since you boil the heck out of stock
smile.png
BTW, muffin tins is a FABULOUS idea over ice cube trays for freezing!!

Back
Top Bottom