How long will chicks continue to peep

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mrsengeseth, Sep 17, 2008.

1. mrsengeseth

mrsengeseth Chillin' With My Peeps

My 8 week olds are still peeping vs clucking or chattering. How long do they continue their peeps until they stop and move onto clucking chatter or even crowing?

2. ravenfeathers

ravenfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    vermont
    my 8 week olds are starting to try clucking. there are a lot of high-pitched bok-boks in there now.

3. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    I have a trio of 3 month old standard cochins that are still peeping. They are really slow to mature. My Australorps seem to start the voice change around 2 months old.

Matt

4. ChanceRider

ChanceRider Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Somerset, CA
    Mine are 9 weeks old today and still peeping. I have 3 RIR's, 3 EE's, and 3 GLW's. Every once in awhile I'll hear something that sounds like the start of a cluck. Usually if there's some sort of treat involved and they're all vying for their fair share [​IMG].

5. supermom

supermom Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2008
    I have 3 eight week old BR and they all still peep non stop. Although I think it's cute, I must admit it is getting annoying. My 18 week olds are much quieter!

6. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    I have a six month old that clucks sometimes, but often makes a honking sound that sound like a deep peep. They all did it as their voices were changing, but this one still does "baby talk."

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by