How long will eggs be fertile???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Jayare's Chicks, Sep 26, 2007.

1. Jayare's Chicks

Jayare's Chicks Songster

Aug 25, 2007
    Florence, Alabama
    How long will a hen lay fertile eggs after getting together with the roo? Is it just a few days or a week or do they need to mate every day for each fertile eeg?

I'm just trying to learn a few things every day on chickens so when I finally get mine I know a little about what I am doing.

I got some SLW eggs comming in the mail and should be here tomorrow and then I will order some day old chicks from Ideal in Mid October when the ones I want are available then my chicks should all be about the same age.

Jayare

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

After spending some quality time with a rooster, they should remain fertile for at least 2 weeks if not up to 3 or a month! They have a sac to store the semen. Another reason if you want to breed to not use the first 3 weeks of eggs if there is a chance another roo's juice was still in there.

3. Jayare's Chicks

Jayare's Chicks Songster

Aug 25, 2007
    Florence, Alabama
    That's too funny:lol:

Thanks for the reply,

Jayare

4. mdbucks

mdbucks Cooped Up

Jul 14, 2007
    EXIT 109 on 95
    Quote:First read this as up to 3 months, still my question is if I want to be sure which roo is the quality time spender then, then i should wait a full month(originally gonna say 3 months) with him being only roo with contact

5. 2mnypets

2mnypets Songster

Apr 11, 2007
    Galesburg, IL.
    That's how I would take that statement mdbucks. Better to be safe than sorry.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by