How long will eggs last?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Remudamom, Oct 22, 2009.

1. Remudamom

Remudamom Chillin' With My Peeps

I've read three different theories. What do y'all think?

2. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    Out of the refrigerator? In the refrigerator? Washed? Unwashed? Warm room? Cool room?

There are a lot of variables that impact your question.

.....Alan.

3. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    It also depends what you mean "last". After a few weeks in the fridge, to me they are noticeably "not fresh-laid" but still quite perfectly good to eat. After a couple months in the fridge, they are a little sulfury and you might reserve them for baking rather than eating sunnyside up, but will mostly not kill ya. After 4-5 months in the fridge, they may not kill ya but you probably won't be in a hurry to want to eat them either [​IMG]

All times reduced for eggs kept unrefrigerated on the countertop, of course (and there, keeping times depend SO much on what temperature your kitchen is!)

Pat

4. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    They won't last long. You'll probably eat them within the week!

5. SunnyDawn

SunnyDawn Sun Lovin' Lizard

Sep 12, 2009
    Nor Cal
    The USDA says that eggs are safe if used within 3-5 weeks. Here is the link that has everything you every wanted to know about egg safety: http://www.fsis.usda.gov/Fact_Sheets/Focus_on_Shell_Eggs/index.asp Eggs in my house never last a week, but we sell most of them and I do a lot of baking etc. with the ones I keep. This site says even eggs that float (large egg cell) may still be good. Just crack into a separate bowl and check to make sure there is no bad smell or green tint.
    When I sell my eggs I include the lay date (I use a sticker so I can reuse cartons) and the "use within 3-5 weeks". I'm still trying to figure out why the 2 week difference in freshness though. It probably depends on how someone stores and handles them. I do not wash my eggs (cold water can damage egg worse than lukewarm water but I still don't chance it). I use a stiff brush or fine grain sandpaper (220 or higher). If I get and egg that is really dirty (it happens sometimes even though I keep the nests really clean and replace bedding material often) I just toss it. I have enough layers that it's no big deal for me.
    Here is another link from culinary experts on eggs: http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?/topic/36558-all-about-eggs-introductory-materials/
    Hope all this helps.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by