1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

how long will eggs survive without mum

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by rita2paul, Aug 16, 2018.

1. rita2paul

rita2paul Songster 7 Years

Aug 31, 2011
    Gloucestershire
    hi i noticed that my SLW was not on her eggs, but on another box with eggs in, she keeps being bullied off her eggs so the other SLW can lay her eggs in this nesting box, for some reason they like that box best. anyway i got home from work and she was not on them, she was sat on them at 7.00 when i left for work and i got back at 12.30 and the eggs were cold, will they still hatch she is sitting on them now. the eggs are nearly 2 weeks old, so only another week to go. i will be gutted for her if they don't hatch as she has been sat really good on them, for a 1st time mum. my other SLW who hatched 2 has now decided not to have anything to do with them, so i am glad there are 2 as they now keep each other company. they also sleep on the floor with my old girl which is nice, as mum has gone back to the perch.
    so what are the chances of these eggs hatching.

2. Spartan22

Spartan22 Crowing

Sep 2, 2014
    Canton, Ohio
    There is still chance that they will hatch, happened to couple of mine but her being bullied you probably need to sequester her with the eggs to protect both. Couple of months ago I had broodies that keep on getting push out of their clutch, end up breaking some eggs and killing some chicks during the musical nests rotations.

rita2paul likes this.
  3. SueT

SueT Crowing

May 27, 2015
    SW MO
    A hen that's being bullied is not a good candidate for hatching eggs while staying w the flock. I agree with #2, she and her eggs, if they are still good, need to be sequestered. If she can't protect her nest, she can't protect chicks either.
    Good luck!

rita2paul and Spartan22 like this.
  4. Your broody should be put in a private broody pen when the hatch began.
    Leaving her in the nest box leads to the problems you describe and stagered batch.
    You will have more successfull hatching rate if you have the right set up.
    Community nest boxes are never a good choice for a broody hatching station.

Spartan22 and Chick-N-Fun like this.
  5. rita2paul

Aug 31, 2011
    Gloucestershire
    thanks everyone i have now put her in the brooder, i was worried about moving her as my other SLW would not except the brooder until they hatched, but she seems happy there.
    i will candle the eggs at the weekend to see if they are still alive.

Spartan22 and SueT like this.
  6. rita2paul

Aug 31, 2011
    Gloucestershire
    well i thought she was going to settle but no. so i had to put her back in the nest box, i moved the same nest box into the brooder with her but she did not like being on the floor, even though she is safe as it has wire around her, she has food and water in the brooder and it is about 4 feet long so she can get out and stretch her legs. i will have to wait until the eggs hatch which is due this weekend if all is well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: