how long will freshly milled chicken layer feed last?

I go through it to fast to know. Back when I had chicks, I'd have a 50lb bag last about a month and a half. Now days, 50lbs lasts me about a week (maybe 10 days)...

I would assume if you kept it in a dry, dark area, it'd last at least 2 months. I know I'd love to get a hold of an old chest freezer to store mine in.
Sorry I can't be more help on how long it keeps stored.

Last edited:
Much depends on your local temperature and humidity. Now that we're going into the cool season here in Florida I would not hesitate to keep milled feed from now till about next March or whenever the weather begins to stay warm. In the summer here I try not to keep milled feed on hand longer than four to six weeks. It's all a matter of how warm and humid the weather is. The more of both the shorter the storage life.

the feed i buy is all natural the feed mill here makes it them selves corn beanse calcum grinded up what the big laying houses use i have 10 leghorns my contaners hold 375 pounds of grain i store them in stainless steel containers in the barn jus wonderin if it will spoil before i use it all up

I would say a couple months, so long as its stored somewhere it cannot get wet..but with 20 hens and 2 roos, and 20 young pullets we go through it too fast. I pick it up from a local feed mill, so its pretty fresh. I never asked how long it WOULD last, because it only lasts 2 weeks at the most before they have ate it! haha I also like to feed fresh as possible feed. Even to my dogs. No way I would keep a bag of dog food around almost a year and then feed it. But thats me.

I have been repeatedly told by my grain-guy, when I ask, that 2-3 weeks MAX is the holding time for milled grains. WHole grains is another matter.. ANd I do believe him because, he runs this own mill ! However, due to practicallity, and the informed people here on BYC, I am planning to build a wooden silo to hold several months worth of grain! I can buy bulk grain for 2/3 the price. Yeah.
wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom