How long will hens remain fertile?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by gus2pp, Feb 4, 2015.

1. gus2pp

gus2pp Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2014
    We had a rooster we culled about two months ago, but my hens are still producing fertile eggs. I have an austrolorp that is about 17 weeks old, and I can't peg the gender of this one. My question is, seeing the still fertile eggs, could they be from my old roo? Or it this a sign my questionable gender austro is in fact a cockerel? The other day I did see "him" grab the neck feathers of one of my older hens, but it wasnt trying to mount, just holding the feathers... Opinions? I'm leaning toward Austro being a cockerel.

2. Orpington Crazy

Orpington Crazy Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2014
    Kelowna BC Canada
    Do you have a picture of your mystery Australorp? I think I have heard that they only keep sperm around for at most three weeks I could be wrong. Our hens remain fertile for about a week or so normally. Good luck

3. gus2pp

Aug 20, 2014
    That's what I thought. I had read four weeks forever ago and just wanted to confirm. I'll try and get pictures of my mystery bird. They are so difficult to get good pictures of, as I don't handle mine. Thanks for your input!

4. gus2pp

Aug 20, 2014
    I could never get a picture of the Austro, but I did eventually see him mating with the ladies. So he was the one! Strange, though. He is 20 weeks today, and I have have yet to hear him crow.

5. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I have read two weeks is the norm, but up to one month is possible.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by