How long will i need to wait after squatting?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Tomfieldenloveshichickens, Dec 11, 2010.

1. Tomfieldenloveshichickens

Tomfieldenloveshichickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    Somerset, England
    Hi

I have 5 RIR's that are all 27 weeks old. I feed them layers pellets and oyster shells and have recently put lighting in the coop. They have a run so they aren't laying the eggs anywhere else. I have not heard the egg song or seen them squat for me. Here are the pics. Can you please tell me which you think is going to lay first and how long I will need to wait for the eggs.

Now 2 of them have started squatting

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

thanks for the comments

Last edited: Dec 17, 2010
  2. dandelionheart

dandelionheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2010
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Whichever ones have the reddest combs will probably be first... but I'd say a couple of weeks at least. Sorry. [​IMG] However, hens can surprise you... but just don't get your hopes too high so you are disappointed constantly. [​IMG] I hope others can tell you differently. [​IMG]

3. DelawareSilkie

DelawareSilkie Out Of The Brooder

Sep 8, 2010
    Whichever have the reddest combs and/or longest waddles. Enjoy your fresh new eggs soon!

4. Tomfieldenloveshichickens

Tomfieldenloveshichickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    Somerset, England
    does anyone know long between squatting

5. SparksNV

SparksNV Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Spanish Springs, NV
    From what I have read squat to egg abou 1 week - HOWEVER, my hens took longer than a month (guess they didn't read those posts!) - They will lay when they are ready to lay and not a moment before...

carol

6. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
    I've never had to wait more than 2 weeks .. usually one. It's the LONGEST time in the world though .. [​IMG]

I expect and excited "I GOT MY FIRST EGG" post anytime!!

7. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    you wont have to wait very long.....as squatting is a really good sign!! [​IMG]

8. Crabman

Crabman Out Of The Brooder

Nice pics. I think you`ll be eating eggs real soon.

9. LOST Chick Heather

LOST Chick Heather Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2010
    I dunno, most posts on here say a week, maybe two. BUT my EE Sun squatted the weekend after Thanksgiving and we are still waiting for an egg. Her comb is very red and she has tiny wattles. My birds turned 6 months old on Tuesday. She is the only bird out of 4EEs and 4BOs who has squatted (that we know of-don't check everyday) so far.

Heather

10. Kaceyx73

Kaceyx73 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2010
    Tom,

I'm a little jealous that a couple of yours are squatting already, but mine seem to be a little further along than yours, physically. You said they were 27 weeks? Are they production or Heritage? Mine are production and are at 20 weeks. I have 3 that have blades developing on the back of their combs already. All of yours are darker with more of the red.

[​IMG]
    Thats Roo with 2 of the lighter pullets to either side. The 3 lighter pullets seem to be the smaller of the bunch.

[​IMG]
    I even have a crooked combed pullet. She is one of the ones with a blade.

[​IMG]
    She's the queen of the roost, so far as I can tell. She's the only one left that will still buck up to Roo when he pesters them. Very red, and you can see the blade forming on the back of the comb.

[​IMG]

Im still waiting to see how they lay over the winter. Some have told me not to expect much since they're coming into maturity in winter. I guess we shall see.

Beautiful girls, Tom.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by