1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How long will it take for her feathers to grow back?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by StarLover21, Apr 17, 2012.

1. StarLover21

StarLover21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    Today my hen Asha got a big gash on her back :( :( :( It was a really bad worm, and she needed surgery/stiches. She now lookes a LOT better! However the skin on her shoulders and neck are completally bare :( She looks like a nacked neck :)

When will her feathers grow back?

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    it takes about 4-6 weeks from the time you see tiny pin feathers for them to completely fill in.

3. StarLover21

StarLover21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011

Okay, thanks. Do you know when the pin feathers will start coming in? Will I have to wait until her next molt?

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    No, you will not have to wait till the next molt. Those tiny feathers should start with in about a week. So from today, the feathers should be all in and full in about 6 weeks. Yeah, it is rough looking at a bald spot, LOL, but as long as she is healthy, they will grow in soon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by