how long will it take for my duck to warm up to me?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by sydney13, Aug 26, 2010.

1. sydney13

sydney13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Massachusetts
    i have a muscovy duck who i got at 1 month old and have had for a week. so far she is terrified of humans (she was around humans her whole life but not handled) and doesn't let me get close to her. im only able to hold her at night when she goes into the coop with the other birds other wise i cant catch her. i know it will take a lot of patients but if i hold her each day and am around her a lot then how long will it take for her to be friendly? and how friendly do you predict she will get? will she let people pick he up eventually and will she follow people?

2. duckluv

duckluv Overrun With Chickens

Aug 20, 2010
    Ohio
    She might never do it,[​IMG] but I hope she doesn't make it to hard for you.

3. sydney13

sydney13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Quote:thats very reassuring [​IMG]

4. duckluv

duckluv Overrun With Chickens

Aug 20, 2010
    Ohio
    Sarcastic![​IMG]

5. PlumTuckered

PlumTuckered Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2007
    Arkansas
    In my opinion it all depends on her personality whether she'll get friendly at all. In my experience the more time you spend with your ducks talking, touching etc the easier it gets but it doesn't always mean they'll be like your other pets (dogs and cats). A duck's nature isn't like a dog or cats, they don't crave human touch and attention, it's natural for them to want to flee us. Imagine what we must look like to them, we're much bigger, we have no feathers, our voices are different and then we must look like we're about to attack them when we bend down and reach out ;-) I have 8 ducks ranging in age from 17 months to almost 4 months, my runner mix was brought to me at the age of 4 weeks and she was such a little cuddle bug always wanting to be in my arms, when she turned 3 months old that stopped and now she gets almost hysterical if I reach for her. My mallards are happy to follow me around and even eat from my hand but if I reach my hand out for one they run or fly off. My Pekins are fickle, one day they want lots of attention the next they can't be bothered with me unless I have peas LOL My scovey duckling is almost 4 months old and is my calmest, she lets me pet her, isn't crazy about being picked up but settles right down if sit her in my lap, she was incubated in the house and then carried out to my oldest pekin's nest (full of infertile eggs at the time) the day she started to hatch out.

Michelle

6. maggiemmm

maggiemmm Out Of The Brooder

Jul 26, 2010
    Kewadin area
    The answer is ..... Treats, treats and more treats. Call with a special call every time. Pavlov had a good thing going with dogs ... ducks are actually smarter than some dogs that I have come in contact with.[​IMG] My duckies like Swiss Chard that I plant especially for them. I have some extra pea plants that I also grab for special occasions... such as annual bat cave cleaning day , termite teeth brushing day etc.... When they ducks associate you with treats ... you will be persona #1.... I cannot pick up a shovel or pitch fork with out having to physically remove ducks from the place where I am shoveling. [​IMG] When they learn to trust you you are in like Flynn!!! May take awhile... but keep up the treats and gentle calling ... I have faith that you will win them over. Good Luck!![​IMG]

7. pascopol

pascopol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    Tampa Bay
    Quote:thats very reassuring [​IMG]

Muscovies are kind of wild ducks.

Expecting every of them to be tamed is silly. Some may some may never become tamed.

You can not make a pet of just any animal or bird just cause this is your want or desire.

If this sounds "sarcastic" sorry. That's the way it is.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by