1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How long will it take for them to lay again with supplemental lighting

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by CowgirlPenny, Oct 28, 2011.

1. CowgirlPenny

CowgirlPenny Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2011
    South East TN
    I know everyone and their mama is asking about this right now. I know how to do it, and have it set up but my question is, about how long will it take for them to begin laying again? Days? Weeks? Most (or maybe all) just recently molted so I'm hoping now that's out of the way and they have light from 6-8am and from 6:30pm to dark that they will start again.....soon!

Between 18 hens we are only getting 2-3 most days right now. Need them to lay again! BTW they are not old, they are February 2011 hatch and laid nicely all summer.

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Your light supply is fine, although you might find it more practical to provide the added light only the early, pre-dawn hours. That way, as the days grow even shorter over the next 8 weeks, the setting sun will be the cue at night to go to roost. Perhaps set the light to come on at 4:30 or 5 am.

They will lay again, when they lay again. I know you don't want to necessarily hear that one more time, but it the truth, really. Feed them well, with good protein level of 18% feed and they'll kick back in when they are ready. Most likely your sex links and/or your production reds are your source of the eggs you are getting? Having first year pullets of such layers always assure "some" eggs. Other heavy breeds lay 240 eggs a year, which means there is about 120 days or 4 months total per year, that they are simply not bred to lay.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2011
  3. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    The molt will throw it off and can delay things (a lot).
    If not molting and very healthy, added light usually kicks things off in a week or two.

4. CowgirlPenny

CowgirlPenny Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2011
    South East TN
    Fred's Hens :

Your light supply is fine, although you might find it more practical to provide the added light only the early, pre-dawn hours. That way, as the days grow even shorter over the next 8 weeks, the setting sun will be the cue at night to go to roost. Perhaps set the light to come on at 4:30 or 5 am.

They will lay again, when they lay again. I know you don't want to necessarily hear that one more time, but it the truth, really. Feed them well, with good protein level of 18% feed and they'll kick back in when they are ready. Most likely your sex links and/or your production reds are your source of the eggs you are getting? Having first year pullets of such layers always assure "some" eggs. Other heavy breeds lay 240 eggs a year, which means there is about 120 days or 4 months total per year, that they are simply not bred to lay.

I guess I will just be on pins and needles daily waiting for them to start again, it's like they are just starting for the first time with the anticipation. LOL I can't be certain because I don't go out there much these days (I'm pregnant so my daughter and husband handle most of the work now) but my daughter says that our PR Maggie is usually in a nest box. Someone is laying a light egg that I think belongs to a BR. I have 4 EE that should start laying anytime now too (they are April hatch) but at this point I will take any eggs anyone wants to lay! lol​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by