How long will my BO be broody?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ging3rhoffman, Oct 27, 2009.

1. ging3rhoffman

ging3rhoffman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    She has been broody for 3 weeks now. I keep taking her out of the nest, which has no eggs and putting her outside to exercise and eat. She eats and then runs back to her nest. How much longer will she be this way? I feel so sorry for her. She is just 26 weeks old.

2. Countrywife

Countrywife Corrupted by a Redneck

Aug 20, 2009
    Carolina
    I don't know, I finally got so frustrated with mine I gave her a handful of eggs. She got two hatches out of it and finally got off the nest. Have you any eggs to give her?

3. purpletree23

purpletree23 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    I felt bad for my broody and gave her some of my neighbors fertilized eggs. We have 3 new fuzzy butts! I'm glad a let her set.

4. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    I'd get her some fertile eggs or do a search on "breaking a broody." It can cause her some real health problems if it goes on too long. Most hens will lose condition while brooding because they don't eat/drink enough to maintain body weight. When they have fertile eggs to hatch that stops in 3 weeks when the chicks arrive, but I've heard of really persistent hens that will brood themselves to near death so you should probably take some action one way or the other. Good luck with her, sure wish one of mine would take the notion.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by