How long will my Broody brood for?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by michpetea, Aug 3, 2010.

1. michpetea

michpetea Songster

Jun 28, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    Now that I've got my broody hen fostering our new chicks, I'm wondering how long it will last? She is lovin' the babies right now. She talks different to them. She walks in the garden with them, calls them when they stray. I have them separated from the older pullets (25 -30) weeks. When will my broody girl give them up?

2. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Depends. Some will keep them for only a few weeks (4-6) others will keep them until they are near POL.

3. michpetea

michpetea Songster

Jun 28, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    Okay. She is teaching them alot now. I love watching them. I'm so proud of her taking on this role. I kept telling her before that she wasn't earning her keep with no egg-laying. She is smaller, though not bantam sized, perhaps she'll give 'em up when they are the same size.

4. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Songster

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    My last two hatches (Brahmas) were abandoned by mum at 5 weeks, but did fine out with the flock at that time. The hen usually comes back into lay at the time she loses interest.

Momma hen is great for teaching the chicks what to do. We placed a tray of soil in with my last hen to hatch a brood (4 days old). Momma hen first started rolling and dust bathing herself and then started throwing soil over the chicks. They were dust bathing with her within minutes (and they are only 3 days old).

I think it's great, too, when momma hen calls over the chicks and breaks up bits of food to chick size for them,

Sandie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by