How long will my broody Silkie sit?

branston

Chirping
8 Years
May 23, 2011
Virginia
My second Silkie went broody on me about a week ago but I haven't put any eggs under her. Everytime I go in there, I pull her out of the next box but she's back in there within minutes. Her sitting doesn't bother me apart from the fact that she's not eating or drinking much. So my question is........how long will she sit? Will she jump up after 21 days and get back to normal or is she going to sit there until she sees chicks?

Some will do it until they croak. It is a hard-core desire for some breeds.

You may need to dunk her, or put her in another pen overnight, or pen her in a wire cage.

...or you could just cave and give her chicks.
wink.png

My silkie did this last month. I'd faithfully put her off the nest 2x a day (morning and evening) to eat/drink/poo - because she was not leaving the nest herself. I let her sit for 23 days, then broke her over a weekend. I just put her out in the morning and closed the run/coop door. However, I have two coops, so my other bantams could go to the big girl coop to lay if needed. I'd leave the door shut until around noon each day - she gave up trying to go inside by the first hour or two each morning. Good luck on your girl!

Oh wow! I was hoping she'd start helping with Bif Mama's chicks but she's completely in a trance. Shutting the door of the coop is a great idea but I have two other girls laying now so will try the wire cage. Looks like my dining room is back to being a hen house! Hubby is going to be really MIFFED!

Back
Top Bottom