how long will my chicken stay broody

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickenbuttsowhat, Jul 5, 2011.

1. chickenbuttsowhat

chickenbuttsowhat Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2011
    Danville, Arkansas
    hi i finally got a chicken to go broody 3 weeks ago she hatch out 10 beautiful chicks but the thing is shes still broody i took the chicks out cuz for some reason my other hens attacked them 2 of the chicks end up dieing cuz half their heads was pecked off [​IMG] this my first time having chickens and i didnt think they would do such a thing but anyways so i took her chicks away and he nest was empty i went back out to the coop the next day and she was sitting in another nest full of eggs that i was about to take in....... so i let her keep them cuz i dont mind having a broody hen rather the mom do the hatching and not me but i was wonding how much long will she keep brooding and was it wrong for me to take away her kids is that how they know to stop or what. i got 2 other hens broody who are now hatching out eggs this week right now they r in what i call the baby coop i built it for the lil chicks but some how they got the fat butts in to nest lol so i made door bigger so they can get in and out but the babies they r hatching r safe for now but i am thinking about taking the babies out later today and put them in the brooders box with my other lil ones just be on safe side but still not sure what should i do? keep them with their moms and take chance them getting pecked to death by the other big meanie hens or take them away from mom??

2. KDailey

KDailey Crazy Cochin Lady

Jun 27, 2011
    Bronson, Tx
    Can you seperate Mom WITH the chicks?

3. chickenbuttsowhat

chickenbuttsowhat Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2011
    Danville, Arkansas
    no not at the moment cuz im short on money for next fews days trying to save up tho to buy more fence and stuff to build another coop for just my breeding hens and babies i do have a dog cage that i put my sick chickens in but the baby chicks and get threw the bars so i would be scared to put them in that and them get out while i wasnt around and get hurt or worse

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by