How long will my eggs last in the fridge?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lhousesoccer, Nov 20, 2010.

1. lhousesoccer

lhousesoccer Out Of The Brooder

Feb 26, 2010
    My first flock of chickens https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=4492553#p4492553 have been laying since October 10. We have 11 layers, and I'm averaging 8-9 eggs per day now, with some days getting 10 and 11. We're eating more eggs then ever [​IMG], and also selling the odd dozen to friends, family and co-works.

Every day I collect the eggs, wash them, put them in egg cartons, and label them with the date on the top with a sharpie, so we know to eat the oldest ones first.

My question is, how "old" can the eggs be and still be OK to eat or sell to someone else to eat?

Thanks!

(Our Coop) https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=371140

Shawn

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Here's a really good article on storing fresh eggs:

http://www.motherearthnews.com/Sustainable-Farming/1977-11-01/Fresh-Eggs.aspx

BTW, I stopped using a sharpie to mark the date on the cartons, because as the cartons are used over and over again (by my egg customers) a bunch of dates on the top, some crossed out, etc., got confusing.
    Now I use slim little post it notes that can be removed.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2010
  3. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    I try to sell them within 1 or 2 weeks, but a month would be acceptable. I've eaten them after 8-10 weeks in the fridge and they were really starting to dry out (huge air cell) but were fine for boiled eggs. Keep them under the proper humidity and they will last for months, your customers may not be too impressed that you can keep eggs that long though...

4. Ohhhdear

Ohhhdear Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2010
    West Michigan
    I use a pencil and write the size of the egg on each one. I also wash and refrigerate my eggs, mostly because that's what my customers want. *I* know unwashed eggs will keep for a month on the countertop, but Ms Average American consumer who's only had store-bought eggs expects clean, cold eggs.

Why do I size eggs? Most of my eggs are either Jumbo (2.5 ounces or more) or Extra Large (2.3-2.49 ounces), with a few Large sized thrown in occasionally (2.0-2.29 ounces). I use an old postal scale. Cookbook recipes are written using Large eggs. For most recipes, substituting a Jumbo egg for a Large isn't a problem, but for some like angel food cakes (that want you to use a weight of egg) it can skew the proportions badly.

I like the idea of a dated post-it note on the carton rather than pencilling the date on the egg itself. That way I don't have to open up the carton to know how old they are.

I also rubberband the cartons shut, mostly because my eggs are usually too big to fit into the cartons and have the lids shut securely.

5. lhousesoccer

lhousesoccer Out Of The Brooder

Feb 26, 2010
    Quote:Thanks for the article. Looks interesting, and I'll be sure to give it a read. Just to clarify, I write the date on the actual EGG, not the carton. We keep an 18-egg carton in the fridge, so it will fit eggs from 2 or 3 days, so each individual egg gets labeled!

6. Choco Maran

Choco Maran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Ribera New Mexico
  7. Boo-Boo's Mama

Boo-Boo's Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I would not use a Sharpie to write on the eggshells. The eggshell is very porous and it is possible the ink from the Sharpie could penetrate the shell and contaminate the egg within.

Use a lead pencil...should be fine. I have 22 chickens so I get anywhere from 15 to 20 eggs a day. I use a Post-It Note on the top of the egg carton with the dates laid, when I get orders for the eggs I use that note on the egg carton to record the name of the customer, address/phone # so my DH can deliver them. Works great for me and my customers just remove it and send the cartons back to me.

Good luck! [​IMG]

8. Rachel'sFlock

Rachel'sFlock Chillin' With My Peeps

From the very first egg we received, I have written the date I collected it on the rounded end of the egg itself. Helped me keep track of how many we got a day, and sometimes I have even written who laid it.
    My friends and family get such a kick out of "born-on" dating.

Brightest Blessings!

9. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Rachel'sFlock :

From the very first egg we received, I have written the date I collected it on the rounded end of the egg itself. Helped me keep track of how many we got a day, and sometimes I have even written who laid it.
    My friends and family get such a kick out of "born-on" dating.

Brightest Blessings!

That's so cute! [​IMG]

ETA: I write the date range (11/10-11/2) on a piece of masking tape and put it on the carton. I re-use the cartons and it's easy to cover the date with another piece of tape the next time I use it.​

10. calvincoop

calvincoop Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Portland, Oregon
    When my hens started laying, the eggs started coming too fast to keep track of. So now, when I collect my eggs for the day, I write the date on the egg with a sharpie. That way I now the exact date it was laid.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by