1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How long will my hen be broody?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by beameuplord, Jun 14, 2007.

1. beameuplord

beameuplord Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2007
    I recently adopted some mail order chicks for my silkie since her eggs did not hatch. She is a great little mom, but I wonder how long she will brood those chicks and lay again. I don't care about getting eggs, I am just curious. I wonder if I will buying chicks every six months to satisfy her broodiness. I love them but I have to keep a close eye on them when they are out of the coop because I live in the woods. Sunday two young raccoons came strolling down through the woods and I stayed outside to chicken sit all evening.
    I let them out every morning, but if I leave Ihave to run them down to put them back in the coop. Very tiring to chase four little chicks a couple times a day.

TJ

2. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    Ha! Been there, done that!! LOL My experience has been she will brood them for at least 6 weeks, hopefully longer. Then she will start laying again and, if she's like my little silkie, she'll become broody again about 3 - 4 weeks after she starts laying. [​IMG] I used to worry about her having chicks at the end of 21 days but that got to be rediculous so I just let her sit on air and she gets up and off the nest after about 3 weeks and acts like nothing ever happened. I don't think chickens are cognizant enough to feel disappointed if they don't have some babies at the end of the setting period. Enjoy those babies!

Ellen

3. beameuplord

beameuplord Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2007
    Thank you ellen, I was wondering if I should get her chicks every time she turns broody. I get emotionally involved with my animals since I don't have kids and Iworry about their emotional well being. Ha !

I could end up with a hundrerd chickens within a year, huh? I guess I'll just let her set on air too after this go round.

thanks a lot, TJ

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by