How long will my older girls pick on the young ones I introduced?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by LorenMcHugh, Nov 29, 2013.

1. LorenMcHugh

LorenMcHugh Out Of The Brooder

Nov 1, 2013
    My 2 nine month old RIR hens have been chasing and pecking the 3 nine week old babies I just introduced. I let them get to know each other for a few weeks in the pen with the babies separated through some chicken wire. I have finally let them live together and for the past couple days the older ones are pretty mean to babies. How long will this last? The older ones were just roosting and one of the babies flew up on roost and was chased away. Are they ever gonna coexist happily together. One of the babies has turned out to be a rooster to our surprise...was told they were all hens. How will this affect things? Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

2. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    Establishing the pecking order will be repeated any time the flock changes its dynamics. The little ones will eventually settle in. As long as the little ones aren't being injured in this physical encounter, letting them sort it out might be the best way.

If you have a rooster now, the dynamics will change once he matures and prepares to take charge of the flock.

Chris

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    In my experience it can take a few weeks for things to settle down. And even then, they'll likely not be best buddies but will maintain smaller groups within the flock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by