How long will she be broody

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by workaholic90, Sep 30, 2013.

1. workaholic90

workaholic90 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2013
    I have read almost over a hundred blogs, threads and forums trying to help with my beautiful chicken. She has been broody for a little over 3 weeks. No rooster and some days she is not sitting on eggs. I take her out of the nesting box for a bit to make sure she eats and drinks but the second i open the coop door she runs back in. I have been pulling the eggs when/if she sits on them but i am wondering if i shouldn't do that.

I have tried luring her out, put her in the dog crate and rubbed ice on her breast (which is now pretty bare). She will be 31 weeks on Thursday. I am not sure if I should be worried or just let her ride it out. When i read suggestions about putting her in a crate i wondered if it had to be raised without the bottom insert. I just put her in a large dog crate in the run and she just sat there like she does in the nest box.

Is there a time frame other then the 21 day mark where i read she should break the broodiness???

Thanks so much in advance.....i just don't want my girl to get sick!

JJ

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    I would just try to break her, if you aren't going to put fertile eggs under her. Some of them will sit a whole whole lot longer than three weeks if no chicks hatch, they don't quit sitting just because three weeks is up.
    I like using wire cages to break broodys. I just use wire dog crates sitting on pieces of 2x4, with wire spacing that is about 1 x4" on the bottom and put perches in there and small food and water dishes hanging from the side so they can't sit in them. They don't like to stand on the wire so sit on the perches most of the time, usually they give up in a couple of days, but I leave them in there a week.

3. workaholic90

workaholic90 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2013
    thank u much........i wouldn't leave the crate outside right bc it's just a wire crate and it's cold at night her in CO and windy. If I put her in the crate outside during the day and at night move her and the crate into the garage am I going to have an issue bringing her back with the flock?

4. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    I often leave the crate somewhere in the coop / barn (I have room), I want them in a high traffic area where there is a lot of stuff going on, and bright light if possible. If you can't keep the crate in the coop, can you leave her out for a couple of hours every day if you watch her and grab her when she tries to go to the nest again... of if you can block off the nests so she can't get into them later in the day, after the other chickens have laid? That should keep her familiar to the flock and you shouldn't have problems with reintegrating her. You are pretty much trying to upset her routine, so moving her around etc will help break her.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by