How long will she stay withthe chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by denco5, Jul 17, 2011.

1. denco5

denco5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2010
    Ocoee Florida
    I have four new chicks, they are coming up on 5 weeks old now, how long will the hen sit with them each night? When will they want to roost and sleep like the other hens? I have several other chickens and they all free range together but they sleep in differant coops. How long before she want to start laying again?

Any thoughts would be great.

2. HHandbasket

HHandbasket The Chickeneer

Depending on breed, it should happen pretty soon. My Olga usually raises hers until they are about 4-5 weeks old, then she turns them loose and resumes laying. While she doesn't "mother" them all the time anymore, if she perceives any of them are being threatened, though, she runs to their rescue. She just let the most recent brood go this past week @ 4 weeks of age. Within 2 days, she started laying again.

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Depends on the hen. All of my SFs turned their chicks loose to fend for themselves around the 4 week old mark. It was plenty warm enough and the chicks did fine.

On the other hand, Jethro my silkie is still mothering her chicks. She spends all day and all night with her chicks. The chicks are eleven weeks old. Two polish and a turken cross, so they are bigger than Jethro, but she doesn't seem to mind. [​IMG]

ETA: Jethro has been back to laying for about a week now. Her chicks wait patiently by until she's finished. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 17, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by