How long will the Mom "Raise" the Babies?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chicksgalore, Aug 10, 2008.

1. chicksgalore

chicksgalore Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    This is the first time I've had a hen to raise my chicks and I wanted to watch them together so I left them together. I know if I would've separated them, she would have started laying again but so far I haven't and they're probably about 3-4 weeks old now. They're all in with the rest of my flock now except at night. So, I'm just wondering, if I continue to let the mother with the babies, when will she stop "mothering" them and get back to laying?

BTW, it was worth letting them together for a while. I LOVED watching the mother give our St. Bernard the dickens for getting too close:)

2. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    Mine mothered for 6 weeks. Momma taught them where to hide, wtc for protection from the rest of the hens and the roo. They are fine now, and about 10m weeks old. Momma hen did a great job raising those babes.

3. chicksgalore

chicksgalore Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    That's not so bad. At this point, I think I'll just let nature take its course.

4. jakmallex

jakmallex Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2008
    NC
    I was wondering about this too. The babies are 7 weeks old now, but they will not sleep without mom. The mom will chase them off of really good treats, so hopefully she's close to being finished with the babies. I'm ready for her to start laying again!

5. steffpeck

steffpeck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Erda, UT
    Ours was about 6 weeks old.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by