How long will they cuddle?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by esjro, Mar 31, 2009.

1. esjro

esjro Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2008
    Stockton, NJ
    My babies are 8 days old and I am in love. [​IMG] I bought my older birds at 5 weeks, and didn't realize what I was missing by not getting chicks. They love to fall asleep on me and cuddle (see below), so I was wondering.... how long will they do this? Will they stop at a certain age?

Thanks! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. gmzamz

gmzamz Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2009
    Monticello, MN
    If you handle them a lot they should do that for a long time

kinda like ma' Phoebe (chicken in avatar) they may change they way they cuddle like sleeping to roosting [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 31, 2009
  3. esjro

Aug 22, 2008
    Stockton, NJ
    I worry that when they become teenagers they will rebel against me and not want to be touched.... kind of like karma for the way I sometimes treated my parents as a teen. [​IMG]

4. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Don't you just love when the do that? Its the most precious thing. I would think if you do it enough, they'd be some really affectionate(sp) chicks! [​IMG]

5. gmzamz

gmzamz Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2009
    Monticello, MN
    nope, they don't really go through the "teenager" stage, that i know of. if they do either really close or really far from you methinks.

6. esjro

Aug 22, 2008
    Stockton, NJ
    Will they still do this as adults though? (All practical considerations aside, such as I'd have to go lay down in the snow or on the poopy coop floor to do this.) [​IMG]

7. rebecca10782

rebecca10782 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Well, all of our birds will cuddle if we take them in the house at night. I just put a wee wee pad on my lap and they will sleep there till I put them out in the coupe. We had one very special bird that was extra loving. She passed away and I cried like a baby [​IMG] We have two bantam Cochins now that are the snuggleiest (I know, that's not a word) little things in the whole world. I put them in the grass to scratch and all they want to do it sit on my shoulder and sing to me [​IMG] I am so in love! Just make sure to constently cuddle them, because they will become untame quickly if not handled and snuggled everday [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by