How long will they mooch?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Zonoma, Oct 24, 2011.

1. Zonoma

Zonoma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Northern Kentucky
    How long does it usually take for newly acquired (1.5 yr old) hens to start laying again? I know they are very sensitive to change but it's been 2 weeks since full integration with the flock and they are nosing around the nest boxes and seem well-adjusted (no more chest bumping and pecking). Should I be concerned that there's a medical issue (ie: egg bound)? Or is this pretty typical? How long did it take YOUR newbies to start laying again after their integration?

2. afchicken

afchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    ohio
    i think it verys ive had some that laid the day i put them in coop (didnt bother finding nest box just used a dark corner)

3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

At this point, if they've settled in well, the issue is not likely the move any longer.

The issue now is moult and fall lighting. The days are getting extremely short. We are well, well past the equinox when days and nights are of equal length. It will keep getting darker until the first day of winter, Dec 21. Then, it begin to grow lighter, day by day. This is why autumn is normally the season when hens virtually take a vacation from laying.

4. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

My 1 year old re-homed Delaware only took two days to start laying after I acquired her. It might be different for your hens. The fall hasn't seemed to slow her down much! She will lay 3 days on, 1 day off. It will probably be better when the days get longer.

5. Darlasmum

Darlasmum Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2009
    La Crescenta, CA
    "How long will they mooch?"--- My 1st thought was- my girls "mooch" for food at every opportunity![​IMG]

6. anderson8505

anderson8505 Peace, Love & Happy Chickens

Fred's Hens :

At this point, if they've settled in well, the issue is not likely the move any longer.

The issue now is moult and fall lighting. The days are getting extremely short. We are well, well past the equinox when days and nights are of equal length. It will keep getting darker until the first day of winter, Dec 21. Then, it begin to grow lighter, day by day. This is why autumn is normally the season when hens virtually take a vacation from laying.

I agree, especially if they aren't a production breed. My Speckled Sussex quit laying as soon as we got 1 cool day. Not an egg since. Production reds & BR still putting out an egg nearly every day.

Although, two weeks isn't too long either, I would say at least a month for them to get used to things. If they were egg-bound there would be other signs besides just not laying. [​IMG]

Oh, and they'll mooch from you for the rest of their lives. Every opportunity is one for FOOD. [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 24, 2011
  7. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    I thought speckled sussex were supposed to be good winter layers?

8. Zonoma

Zonoma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Northern Kentucky
    Fred's Hens :

Aiya. That isn't the answer I wanted but it certainly makes sense.

Thank you all!​

9. Gypsi

Gypsi Chillin' With My Peeps

Gee, this was an informative thread. Texas and Florida are about the same latitude.... So they shouldn't be nice steady one egg per hen per day like when they were young girls.

So if my hens are laying, but the eggs have thin shells, maybe they don't have enough calcium for an abnormally high egg output? I got 1 egg today. Most days get 3. Well I got 1 egg with a strong shell today, I fed the soft cracked one back to the girls. I have one barred rock, she lays a dark egg every 3 or 4 days. The 4 production reds are main output.

I did something today. Sprinkled some oystershell calcium in their water, then poured about 1/4 cup of apple cider vinegar in the bucket that feeds their water. (the calcium is in the surrounding bowl so I can remove it.)

......And they may have mooched but no treats today. Sorry for the hijack. If I've done something bad someone tell me?

Gypsi

10. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    I would put the crushed oyster shell in a bowl instead of their water. The apple cidar vinegar will help disolve the calcium into the water, but it would be more benificial if they are allowed to self regulate [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by