How long will this last?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Auroradream26, Feb 7, 2014.

1. Auroradream26

Auroradream26 Smothered in Feathers Premium Member

May 14, 2013
    Central, PA
    Sorry everyone. I didn't know weather to put this under raising chicks or feed but I figure everyone here is an expert in the chick department lol. I'm new to this and we're getting our first chicks here in a couple weeks (end of Feb) but I'm getting everything prepared now. I'm getting ready to order my first bag of feed but I I'd like to have an idea of how long it will last since nobody around here sells organic feed and I have to order it. We're hoping to get 10 chicks and the bag of chick starter is 40lbs. Will that be more than enough to last them until I need to switch them? This is the one we're looking into getting.

https://www.azurestandard.com/shop/product/14050/

Last edited: Feb 7, 2014
  2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Yes that should be good. That should last them a couple months. The first few days they don't eat much and then they turn into pigs over then next week.
    If you can minimize waste, possibly by fermenting that will help a lot. They like to scratch their feed out and don't do so if it is moist. They do like to scratch shavings and things into it as well as defecate in it.

3. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Order at least two bags,they can stay on the starter feed until bag is empty so you will not have any waste. This is the general guideline for feeding at different ages: 1-8 weeks - starter feed(they can stay on this longer than 8 weeks,so don't worry) 8-18 weeks grower/developer feed,18 weeks and older layer feed.

Since you are new to chicken keeping look up information for Coccidiosis and make sure you know everything about it,as coccidiosis is the leading cause of deaths in chicks. I recommend keeping some Corid(amprolium) or might be called Amprol(amprolium(depends where you live)on hand,just in case and medicate immediately if you see any symptoms or use the preventative dose for chicks from day 1.

Also be familiar with the signs of pasty butt,as this if left untreated can cause deaths.

Have fun with your babies,and be prepared to become absolutely head over heels in love with them.

For the first 2 weeks,do not use shavings(they need to be able to recognize feed and cannot do this with shavings)in their brooder use paper towels(do not use newspaper as it can contribute to a condition called spraddle leg). After 2 weeks then add shavings.

4. Auroradream26

May 14, 2013
    Central, PA
    Thanks guys. Ten chicks, I will start researching that today. I have heard of pasty butt and looked into how to take care of that one but I haven't heard of coccidiosis. For right now I have a large box inside the house and I was planning on using towels in the bottom for the first 2 weeks. Afterwards they will move to our winterized screen porch where I have two large dog crates combined to make a giant brooder. That will be when I start using wood shavings for bedding. I've been so excited for over a month now that is driving me crazy! I know I'll fall in love with the little babies :)
    Chickencanoe-do you have any advice on how to ferment feed? I'd really like to try that. We do a lot of fermenting to make sauerkraut and wine and such but I'm clueless about how to do it with feed.

5. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Good advice.

Giving #1 chick grit helps limit pasted vent.
    Keeping bedding bone dry and feeders at least half full usually eliminates concerns about coccidiosis.

6. ten chicks

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    My chickens all love fermented feed,especially my roosters they stick their whole head in it.

Everyone has there own method for fermenting,mine is pretty basic. I fill a container(glass or plastic,which i keep on my counter)with feed/scratch(no scratch for chicks as it carries little nutritional value) then add water to just cover feed,let it sit for about 4 days(although i give feed after day 2)it will start to smell sour and you will see bubbles on the surface. I replace what i take out daily,so if i take out 2 cups of feed,i put 2 cups back in. If feed every smells rotten or like alcohol,just discard and start a new batch. There are ways to correct alcohol content,but as you are new to fermenting i would suggest to just discard.

For your chicks just adding warm water to feed encourages eating and is easier for chicks to eat,plus they love it.

7. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    When you make your fermented feed, you might want to start out with the container just 1/3 full of feed, then add your water. It swells up A LOT. Most people keep enough water in the feed so there is a layer of liquid sitting on top of the feed. You can do a ferment with just feed and water. If you want it to ferment faster, add some unpasteurized ACV (the container will say "with the mother" on the label). About 1/2 to 1 TBSP/quart of FF. You only need to add that at the very beginning, and as Ten chicks said, keep replenishing the original container. Kind of the same concept as keeping a sour dough culture. If my FF starts to get a bit too strong, I just stick it in the fridge. When I feed, I pour out what I need, add crumble to it to make the right consistency, and as it's very cold now, I warm it up before taking it out to the girls in the morning.

8. Auroradream26

May 14, 2013
    Central, PA
    Thanks everyone. I'm really excited for all this and the fermenting thing sounds awesome. Now, when you replace what you took out do you stir it or add more water? We have organic, unpasteurized ACV here now. We actually use it for us and our dogs for the health benefits and have even experimented with making our own so we always have that

9. ten chicks

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Yes,stir couple times a day if possible,if not once is fine. Yes,when replacing feed in container add water also and stir.

10. Ozarkguy

Ozarkguy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2013
    mountain view
    hey canoe is that a black penedesenca in your avatar and if so would you be willing to trade for some eggs or chicks I could meet you in springfield or branson next weekend. I have a trio of black pennies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by