How long with Broody Momma?

CocoNUT

Songster
10 Years
Apr 15, 2009
Ok...so I've had ONE successful hatch with a broody and the chicks are still in with her. I was wondering...at what point is it ok to separate them? They still snuggle under her at night and for naps. They're almost FULLY feathered now too! They will come right up to the front of their brooding pen when I bring 'snacks' though!!! Silly little things! Momma is being WONDERFUL and she's really taking FANTASTIC care of them.

Just wondering if anyone knows of any guidelines about that!

Thanks

momma will tell them its time to go when she is ready. However some of my momma and chicks that are fully grown now still roost together and can be found napping together on the floor once in a while.

Why would you separate them? Momma will be momma to then until they are like 8 weeks (sometimes longer if it her first time) the babies will then be independent mostly (though my rooster slept with his mom til he was 4 1/2 mo old
tongue.png
). If you HAD to separate them it would be then.

i separate mine after 5 weeks and put them in with the flock (they are bantams-good flyers) and they do fine....after i take them away once she starts laying again i give her new ones to hatch!

I had 3 go broody one right after another. The first was easy, when the chicks were about 10 weeks old I could tell she was getting annoyed with them and was pecking a bit at the baby roo's. The second was still being a good momma and was content with her chicks-but I thought it would be easier to integrate the two together back in the flock. The first adapted quickly, the second moped around for about a week, spending more time outside the pen her babies were in than free ranging with the flock. A month later, she hangs with the flock, but the dynamics and pecking order have changed and she doesn't quite seem as part of the flock unit as before...she roosts by herself. I'm in the middle of similar issues with the third, although I've waited even longer as she had an only child. That baby is 14 weeks and they were quite bonded, but I'm gearing up to separate by breed for spring hatching. It's been a week, and the little one is not being picked on by the pullet I put with her to keep her company, but is very nervous around her and Mom and baby just moon at each other through the fence. Mom spends most of her time outside the baby pen, even making a nest and laying her eggs by the door. I feel awful picking her up every evening and putting her back with the orinal flock, even though I'm confident she'll eventually adjust. My roo is great and tries to get her to join the other girls, and when she doesn't, he splits his time between her and them.

So my advice is, if there are no time or space considerations, let the hen tell you by her additude and actions when she is ready
smile.png

thanks for the advice guys! The reason I'd be separating them is cause I was hatching them for a friend of mine. She provided me a couple eggs when this pullet went broody (had been broody for going on two months BEFORE I got her the eggs!) The chicks were from the 'best' hen of my friend who later died. (I don't have any roos). I just didn't want to run the risk of separating them TOO early is all when I give her her chickies! (Kind of like a surrogate hatching program!!!)

Momma is still awesome with her brood. Telling them where the BEST snacks are and the little ones know that my approaching their area means TREAT TIME!!! Momma doesn't peck at me (like another broody I have right now)...but she does watch me VERY closely with HER babies! Although I know she knows I'm not going to HURT anyone! It's neat to hear her little clucks and sounds commanding their attention and when to do what!

Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom