1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

HOW LONG

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Tripp, Dec 30, 2008.

1. Tripp

Tripp Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2008
    Munford, TN
    I was wondering how long eggs are good for incubating after you collect them?

Tripp

Last edited: Dec 30, 2008
  2. dixiechick

dixiechick Chillin' With My Peeps

eggs are considered "fresh" for human consumption up to 30 days in the fridge.

3. tim_TX

tim_TX Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2008
    Keep in mind that if you wash the egg you are removing the protective bloom that the hen has provided. Eggs contain 10's of thousand of pores. So unless you reseal the egg, any that you wash and then store will have a reduced shelf life.

4. Tripp

Jun 4, 2008
    Munford, TN
    I edited my post sorry I wasn't more clear....

Tripp

5. dixiechick

oldtimegator pops her's in the fridge up to 14 days, then straight to the 'bator--she has phenomenal hatches...

6. Tripp

Jun 4, 2008
    Munford, TN
    wow that is cool I got a couple off my silkies in the fridge now I think I will try they are way less than 14 days old so I will be keeping my fingers crossed!

Thanks For that bit of information!!!!

Tripp

7. dixiechick

Keep us posted. I am collecting in the fridge for the first time too (just found this tid bit of info out on Monday)....race ya to hatching day!!

8. what was i thinking

what was i thinking Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    cny ny
    i hatch out of the fridge with no problems. sometimes over a week.

9. redneckgirl

redneckgirl Out Of The Brooder

Aug 8, 2007
    hey, so what if you clean the eggs with a damp cloth, instead of running water over them? will that still reduce shelf life?

10. Tripp

Jun 4, 2008
    Munford, TN
    Great thanks for the info and you are on so far I am only getting 1 everyother day so my first hatch will be real small but I have no problems raceing to hatch day and posting some pics for all to enjoy!!!

Tripp

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by