1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How long?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by aidenbaby, Apr 16, 2009.

1. aidenbaby

aidenbaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Lochbuie
    How long can a chick survive without having eating any solids. I've been giving her vita-electro-water solution every time I check on her, every couple of hours. I was thinking about making a few scrambled eggs for the chicks this morning and seeing if that will help perk up her appetite.

2. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

How old is this chick and what has happened to her?

3. aidenbaby

Apr 10, 2009
    Lochbuie
    She is only a few days old. Apparently, according to the store, she was squished by her shipping mates.

4. aidenbaby

Apr 10, 2009
    Lochbuie
    Since I've started feeding her the water solution, she has started acting better. She also has an eye injury. IT never looked damaged but she wasn't opening it either. With that I just took very wet q-tips and dabbed the opening. After a minute or two she actually started opening it. I swear I saw a piece of bedding come out as well. I think that I"m going to keep doing that until she is consistently keeping it open. It's hard not to start having hopes climb when you can see little improvements here and there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by