How Long????

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by soulsong, Oct 26, 2010.

1. soulsong

soulsong Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2010
    NorthEast Georgia
    We recently (as in last week) started getting visited every night by an Owl. We finally got everyone setup in enclosed coops at night. (we have been here for over a year with no predator problems so we only had one pen with an enclosed cover - the guinea pen- and just "lean-to" style coops in the new pens we built this summer during our expansion)
    However my guines are REALLY hating this pen/coop idea. Mind you they grew up in one but the minute they get to free range they refuse to go into the coops at night.
    So My question is this....

How long will the Owl hang around waiting for another opportunity? Will it give up on its easy pickings and find a new hunting ground or will it continue to come back night after night for months?
    or
    Does anyone have any clue how to train these guys to go back in? without having to spend hours teasing them in like I did the other night.

2. caspernc

caspernc Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Z town NC
    is it possible to set a couple of sensor lights around your pins? Will owls leave if a light comes on or just use the light and say cool now I can see my meal better, THANK YOU!

3. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

We've battled an owl for years. He will come back and will bring his offspring until all the food is gone. We have motion lights, a radio on 24/7 and it doesn't bother him or her. And getting guineas to return to a pen is futile at best. They LOVE sleeping in the trees.

4. soulsong

Jun 2, 2010
    NorthEast Georgia
    I think that depends on the owl, in my researching on it, there have been some who say they will hang around the fringes of the light, that it doesnt seem to bother them. I spoke with an aquaintance the other day who has one that will come sit on their fence post and watch you walk around it within arms reach w/o leaving. They apparently can be very bold hunters. Hoping that waiting it out will work.

5. soulsong

Jun 2, 2010
    NorthEast Georgia
    Quote:But if he cant get to the food...how long will it keep coming back?
    and thats exactly what our guineas love to do, that and the roof of the block bldg NEXT to their pen LOL

6. theFox

theFox Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2009
    Standish, Maine
    Quote:But if he cant get to the food...how long will it keep coming back?
    and thats exactly what our guineas love to do, that and the roof of the block bldg NEXT to their pen LOL

Do not make the mistake of assuming your chickens are the only food on your lot that an Owl would be interested in.

Your birds are likely also attracting rodents courtesy of any feed or treats you give to them outside their coop.

It is also possible that the coop is providing shelter to such animals and other things in the yard, for example gardens (both vegetable and flower) are attracting them.

Same goes for fruit or nut trees.

7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Great Horned owls are territorial, ad your home lies within the owls home range. It will stop by periodically to see if any chickens or guineas are available. They live a long time and are very reluctant to give up a home range. Generally after a few attacks chickens or guineas become wary and learn to return to the coop at night.

8. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Might be easier to answer if we had some idea of what kind of owl we're talking about. This time of year it could be a migrant passing through or a young one looking for a new territory.

9. caspernc

caspernc Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Z town NC
    gas BB pistol? or is that more for our personal gratification? It won't kill the bird unless you hit in the eye, and you can't do that if you try only by accident. But if you sting them will it detour them? I carry one all the times because of rabid coon and or fox. I can load 14 shots and if they get close enough I can hit the eye. It is lethal at 5 ft'. Too close but at least I have chance. I dont shoot a 22 very well, noise I think. BB pistol I have no problem with. Quiet, and I do hit things. A mouse at close range is fish/chicken food.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by