How Long??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by GAGE, Dec 6, 2010.

1. GAGE

GAGE Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    GA
    What is the soonest that you can incubate (with success) a new egg layer. This is strictly a hypothetical question, as we want to enjoy our eggs for a while before they go into the bator . If they are old enough and laying, are first time layers fertile and yes, we have a mature rooster but I am not around enough to watch them breed.
    This is something that I was thinking about today.

2. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    It depends more on your hens than you roo. Hypothetically speaking, the eggs could be fertile as soon as they start laying: assuming the rooster is covering the hens.

However, just because an egg is fertile, it does not mean they are hatchable. Many times the eggs are weird-shaped, double-yolkers, not forming "right" consistantly.

STILL: I have hatched eggs from new layers, ones that have only been laying a few weeks. I have also had sizzles who started laying, laid 8 eggs, went broody, and hatched the eggs they were sitting on. I have also had hens who's eggs did not become "hatchable" until they had all the "kinks" worked out of their system.

ETA: In short: 8 to 10 months old would be the earliest I would waste incubator space on.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2010
  3. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    I think that maybe this should be in the incubating and hatching eggs section...

4. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    Quote:It could go either way [​IMG] If we are talking about the hens, then sure, I defer to you. If we are talking about the roo doing his job, then the OP got it right [​IMG]

5. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    Quote:It could go either way [​IMG] If we are talking about the hens, then sure, I defer to you. If we are talking about the roo doing his job, then the OP got it right [​IMG]

Good point. [​IMG]

6. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I'd wait until the eggs are a good size for their breed. I wouldn't try to incubate eggs that are too small, either.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by