How long?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by rmh0508, Mar 7, 2012.

1. rmh0508

rmh0508 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2011
    Engadine, MI
    I have a broody hen who is sitting on 8 eggs. Today was day 21 and nothing as of yet. I was wondering how long I should let her stay on the eggs before I pitch them? I am crossing my fingers that she at least gets on baby to show for all of her efforts...

2. brahmabreeder

brahmabreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    i'd give the eggs at least three more three more days then candle them.

3. rmh0508

Jul 14, 2011
    Engadine, MI
    Thanks for the reply. One did hatch and is doing well. The other 7 eggs don't appear to be doing anything yet :(

4. brahmabreeder

brahmabreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    When I hatched out my last batch of eggs only 9 out of 23 hatched. The temp and humidity were fine. I got to hatching and four were fully developed and didnt hatch.

5. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Did any end up hatching?

6. rmh0508

Jul 14, 2011
    Engadine, MI
    Only one hatched but at least mommy hen has something to show for all her effort. The last broody didn't get any to hatch. all the hens are actually still pullets they won't even be a yr old till August so they have plenty of time :)

7. rmh0508

Jul 14, 2011
    Engadine, MI
    Ok so I went out last night and I was going to throw away all the eggs that hadn't hatched (7 out of 8 of them) and when I lifted up the broody another chick had hatched sometime during the afternoon. I had checked her at 2 pm when I got off of work so I know it had to be later in the afternoon and over 5 days since the first one hatched.
    So now how much longer should I leave the eggs? I am going to candle tonight to see if I have any movement in the last 6...

8. 3forfree

3forfree Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2010
    essexville, michigan
    If that broody will stay off the nest long enough maybe you can smell the eggs. With a broody I don't think the temps are as steady as an incubator, so maybe they are just alittle late. If they don't smell bad leave them sit for a few more days.

9. Woodcox Acre

Woodcox Acre Out Of The Brooder

Sep 18, 2011
    A Mt. Valley in Utah
    I have a broody hen that just started setting, day 5, I'm new at this, how many days does it usually take? Let us know if you get more than two.
    I'm hoping there will be more for you and momma hen.

10. rmh0508

Jul 14, 2011
    Engadine, MI
    SHe was off the eggs this morning when I checked in on her. I am going to candle them tonight but I think she has finally quit on them. :(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by