how long???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by beeksnfeet, Aug 28, 2013.

1. beeksnfeet

beeksnfeet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2012
    IL/WI border
    Our 3 Buff Orps and 2 White Plymouth Rocks started laying a few days ago. In 5 days we have had 7 eggs and the first was a double yolk. How long before the eggs make it to full size? Now they are all golf ball size & different shades of brown, very pretty. Only thing is, I can't figure who is laying what and when. We have an egg in the nesting box as we speak and if today goes along like the previous days, we will have one around noon and maybe one in the late afternoon or early evening. Will this change or will the girls keep this kind of schedule? Our layer feed already has calcium in it and they do get table scraps, mostly fruits and veggies of some kind each day. :/

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    They will gradually get bigger over the next couple of months. Then when they go through their first adult molt, you may see another jump in size.

3. beeksnfeet

Jun 29, 2012
    IL/WI border
    Thanks for the info. The little eggs are cute and very tasty I might add, but so tiny. Not sure what size Orps or Plymouth Rocks lay but I know it's got to be bigger. Now all I have to do is figure which girls are laying which eggs! :)

4. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    I read an article from some college that said basically the best eggs will come around 8wks after the chicken starts laying.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps029

5. beeksnfeet

Jun 29, 2012
    IL/WI border

What a very interesting article! Thanks so much for the info. I appreciate all the information everyone on this site has given since I signed up!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by