How long???

Rose98

Chirping
5 Years
Dec 12, 2014
I have 5 bantam eggs in the incubator at day 19. Yesterday when I went into lockdown I noticed that 2 had internally pipped, it has know been at least 20 hours they have been like this. I know it can take up to 24 hours to externally pip, and I don't want to rush these guys. But how long can they survive on the oxygen they have in the air cell??? Also I haven't heard any make a noise, one of the internally pipped ones has been rocking quite a bit as well as 2 others that I don't think have internally pipped yet.
These guys had a bit of a rough time during incubation, firstly the turner stopped working during the first 48 hours so I turned them by hand 3 times a day. And then my 3 year old son decided he would have a go at turning them and I went into the room where the incubator is to find him with lid of and rolling the eggs. Yes I was cross.
So my question really is, how much longer should I wait? I have helped chicks out before that where in the wrong position but they also had a pip and I don't really want to make my pip in the eggs if it can be helped. I'm going out today for about four hours, and don't want to dome home to chicks dead in the shell. Also the humidity is around 60-63% does that sound alright??

One of mine took 36 hours to externally pip after I noticed the internal pip. It was another 24 hours before it hatched. Only hatched 2 and a half hours ago. Another one hatched out an hour ago. This is my first hatch ever and I worried about EVERYTHING! but they know what to do and they are pretty resilient :)
Good luck with your eggs!

I'd wait for the pip. (As hard as it is to do!!!) I wouldn't worry about the first 24* without turning. And, egglets are a lot tougher than we give them credit for. They're probably resting for the pip. Have you read the articles in Hatching 101 regarding the physiology of hatching? Truly fascinating. Makes you have a deep respect for the process.

So you think they are right for at least another 12 hours???
Hope so....

I'm no expert, and this is my first hatch, but from all the posts I've been reading hatching can be unpredictable. Chicks come out in their own time and definitely know what to do. I wouldn't worry, you'll see an external pip soon, I'm sure :)

Cool, thank you.... don't think the external pip is far away for one, it is rocking quite a bit....
Also this sounds weird but I also had some other eggs in the incubator that I thought weren't forming but left them there any way and now 2 are rocking.
I will put up the humidity and leave them for a few hours.
thanks for your help.

I'm hatching mine in egg cartons so I miss out on seeing them rock. They do jolt a bit sometimes when they're pecking at the shell though.
Ooh that's a nice surprise!! Just proves that you can never be too sure about 'bad' eggs.

Home quicker then expected, one external pip!!!!
Thanks for your help.

Back
Top Bottom