How loud are baby chicks when in the brooder both day & night?

lachie27

In the Brooder
Apr 18, 2015
I want to raise baby chicks and if I do they will be kept in a plastic box in the garage. How loud will they be during the day it at night because I don't want to disturb my neighbours. Thanks

Decibels. Noise is measured in decibels. I doubt that the noise baby chicks make would even move the needle.

In fact, well cared-for baby chicks will not make much noise at all. As long as you've provided for all their needs, they're going to be content and the peeping will be intermittent and quite soft.

However, if you are a novice, if this is your first batch of chicks, you may make some mistakes, and you can be assured that your babies will let you know. Loudly and persistently, until you figure out what's causing their distress and you correct it.

So do all your homework. Learn what is required to rear baby chicks, and you shouldn't have any problem with noise that is likely to disturb someone.

Here's a tip. Read the thread on this forum "Mama Heating Pad for the Brooder" and discover a whole new way to brood chicks that will practically guarantee quiet chicks.

Last edited:
Hi, I did not want to make new thread for the same question. Hope somebody will find it here. So I will have my first bunch of chicks pretty soon and so it happens that they will have to live at home until spring, my bedroom to be exact. I can sleep in my husbands room (yep, we have separate ones), but still have hope to be able to stay at mine. Am I very naive thinking that I will get some decent night sleep with little chicks at the same room? I have heating plate for them so they should stay warm and in a dark...

You don’t want to raise chicks in the house. If you have an alternative place to brood them please do. They shed feathers and create a lot of dust and dander which in turn will be spread throughout the house. It will coat your lungs and every other surface in your home. They’re cute but they aren’t healthy to be living with, specially sleeping next to them. Hope this helps.

I agree you don’t really want them in your bedroom. Don’t underestimate how dusty they are. I keep mine in the spare room for the first 4 weeks. It’s not so bad the first few days but 1 week+ and the dust is thick within a day. Baby chicks make lots of sound but like the others said it’s not especially loud unless they’re unhappy! I have the comfort heat plate 40x40cm. You won’t be disappointed. Good luck.

They can keep the eggs warm enough to hatch in those temps.
How they react when they hatch is always good to observe,
some broodies set well but are lousy at taking care of the chicks.
I have no idea if your bird can keep 11 chicks warm or not,
if they all fit, and she's a good mama could work out great.

Did you put all fresh fertilized eggs under both broodies at the same time?
Did you keep any other birds from laying in the broodies nests?
If not, you may have a staggered hatch....that's another thing you may have to manage.
Were your incubator eggs started the same time the broodies started setting?

Giving chicks to a broody hen can be tricky.
Best of broody has been broody for a good couple weeks,
or broody might not accept them.
Chicks should be just hatched or no more than a day old,
or they might not want to stay under the broody.

My only worry now is this: can hens with chicks live in a unheated place if temperatures are way below freezing (around 0 f° is expected)? I have a nice house for tools and stuff, it's build from bricks so no wind and it's facing south so it's a bit warmer. Would love to put hens there if chicks have a chance. I know it's not an easy question to ansver, but I am trying to get any idea how tough little chicks are.
Did you read my winter broody thread I linked above?
You can see the set up had, it helped I think.
They did fine in near zero F temps...but that cold wasn't constant.
I did have to change out water multiple times a day and offer soaked feed to ensure they would stay hydrated.

Decibels. Noise is measured in decibels. I doubt that the noise baby chicks make would even move the needle.

In fact, well cared-for baby chicks will not make much noise at all. As long as you've provided for all their needs, they're going to be content and the peeping will be intermittent and quite soft.

However, if you are a novice, if this is your first batch of chicks, you may make some mistakes, and you can be assured that your babies will let you know. Loudly and persistently, until you figure out what's causing their distress and you correct it.

So do all your homework. Learn what is required to rear baby chicks, and you shouldn't have any problem with noise that is likely to disturb someone.

Here's a tip. Read the thread on this forum "Mama Heating Pad for the Brooder" and discover a whole new way to brood chicks that will practically guarantee quiet chicks.

X2 on all points. Happy, comfortable chicks make sweet little sounds....hungry, cold, lonely, distressed, etc chicks are LOUD! Brooding with a non light based heat source allows a natural day/night cycle and eliminates noise at night.

Thanks, this is not something I thought about. I don't really have much choise sinse it's too cold anywere else, but maybe I can put them not in a sleeping place at least. Is it too cold for chicks if it's close to 32 F (0 C)? With heating plate?
Heat plate (which brand/model) or mama heat pad?
I brood outdoors, in the coop and use the mhp. It was 23 (f) overnight here and this morning my chicks (5 days old) are happy little peeps scampering around.

If 23 f is good enough then I am happy, no need to sleep with chicks :) I'll do my best not to let it to be that cold, but some cold nights are coming and everything can happen. Thank you all for the ansvers! After a month or so weather should be getting warmer and unheated spaces will be warm enough.

Yes! It’s much better to start them in a colder environment as opposed to a warm house for a week then a cold environment afterwards. Good luck on your little fluff balls. What a fun adventure chicken keeping is!

Back
Top Bottom