How loud are chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Chicks Galore3, Dec 16, 2011.

1. Chicks Galore3

Chicks Galore3 Artistic Bird Nut

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    Ok, i am getting chicks soon (duh) and i was wondering how loud they would be. I want to keep them inside (in a room we aren't in very much. like once a day) for at least the first week. What are your thoughts?

2. mallory2013

mallory2013 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2011
    Eastern CT
    They are VERY loud, especially once they figure out that you are a food-bringer. But if you are only planning on keeping them in the room for the first week that probably wouldn't be too bad. But their cuteness makes up for the loudness lol. [​IMG]

3. mrslb333

mrslb333 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Depends how many and the age. I keep mine inside for the first few weeks up to around 20 chicks and its not too bad as long as they are warm and well fed they shouldn't cause too much fuss.

4. GoChick

GoChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2010
    You'll be fine. I had to keep my first ones for 2 weeks in our living room while my husband finished the coop. They start to get louder and messier after two weeks, so you'll be fine.

Congrats on the chicks!

Last edited: Dec 16, 2011
  5. kbreak

kbreak Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2011
    Columbia, MS
    I have 9 new chicks inside right now. It hasn't been to bad. They get loud when I go in there but otherwise they have been quiet. Have the heat lamp on them and they seem content. They are too cute !!

6. macdoogle2

macdoogle2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2011
    San Diego
    They get loud if they are too cold or too hot. If they are out of food or water. Mine are in the dining room in a box.

7. CarolJ

CarolJ Dogwood Trace Farm

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    I kept a batch of 18 in a brooder in the kitchen for a week before moving them to the garage. They weren't bad at all.

8. abbey808

abbey808 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2011
    Hawaii
    Their noise can range from soft, contented peeps to loud, ear piercing chirps of distress. As long as they are warm, well-fed and in the company of other chicks they should be fine. They will let you know if they are not happy. I love the sound of happy peeps!! [​IMG]

9. RNAOGEA

RNAOGEA Out Of The Brooder

Nov 11, 2011
    Kinder
    We have thirty ranging from a six weeks to a year old and it not too bad. Our rooster is a little loud but not bad and the hens aren't loud at all. The chicks were getting louder in the brooder but it wasn't ear piercing. If you want quiet chickens stick with hens but you wouldn't have fertile eggs if you are intending to hatch.

10. Chicks Galore3

Chicks Galore3 Artistic Bird Nut

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    Thanks alot everbody!!!![​IMG] I am getting ten chickens, a variety of breeds. I live in Iowa, and i am getting them in may, so i just wanted to keep them inside for a litte while. (plus i won't be able to help myself looking in on them a bazillion times![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by