1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How loud are geese and what is the best breed to raise with ducks?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Birdydeb, Apr 27, 2016.

1. Birdydeb

Birdydeb Chillin' With My Peeps

I have WH ducks coming on May 25 and the more I think about it the more I would like to add two geese to my order. Hubby says no because even though we are rural, we do have a couple close neighbors. So anyone please tell me about how loud your geese are. Also if you have a recommendation of which breed does best with ducks. I had read it was easier to raise goslings with ducklings than trying to integrate later. And would you recommend a male and female or two females? Thanks for any insight? :)

2. chicklover 1998

chicklover 1998 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2015
    Oskaloosa,Ia
    just as loud as duck, but can be a bit noisy in the spring I would get them anyway.

3. Birdydeb

I am thinking of that old saying, "easier to ask forgiveness than ask permission" LOL. :) Soooo.... I am looking at three different breeds on Metzers site....Classic Roman, Pilgrim and Tufted Buff. All three supposedly calm geese. Anyone have any experience or advice on which breed would be best? After reading some I am leaning toward the Tufted Buff. :)

4. chicklover 1998

Sep 30, 2015
    Oskaloosa,Ia
    males can be louder than females but I like to have things in pairs so I would get a goose and a gander

5. chicklover 1998

Sep 30, 2015
    Oskaloosa,Ia
    go tufted they are cool.

6. Birdydeb

Added a pair of Tufted Buff to my order of ducks. :)

7. bh1duck

bh1duck Out Of The Brooder

Nov 4, 2015
    pretend like they were added in for free and keep saying that are probably just jumbo pekins :)

8. Birdydeb

:lau:oops::thumbsup

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by