How loud are Pekin Ducks

atroisi524

In the Brooder
Aug 11, 2022
I currently own 2 Cayuga Ducks. One of my other cayugas passed away this week. I’m considering getting 2 new baby ducklings. I would like to maybe get one Buff and one Pekin. I’ve read that Pekins can be noisy. I’m a little concerned that this may end up being an issue with disturbing the neighborhood. The houses have a decent amount of space between each other but I’m just not sure how loud they get. Does anyone have any insight on how loud Pekins get in comparison to other ducks.

All of them can be equally loud. Individual ducks can be quieter, so it is really hard to say what you will get. One of my Pekins we named Belle, because she sounded off like a bell and was super loud in the morning. My other one was fairly quiet. Belle quieted a bit when she started laying. My other girl is still fairly quiet overall, but she still shows off her pipes sometimes. So it is always hard to say.

The only quiet ducks are Muscovy.

All of them can be equally loud. Individual ducks can be quieter, so it is really hard to say what you will get. One of my Pekins we named Belle, because she sounded off like a bell and was super loud in the morning. My other one was fairly quiet. Belle quieted a bit when she started laying. My other girl is still fairly quiet overall, but she still shows off her pipes sometimes. So it is always hard to say.

The only quiet ducks are Muscovy.
Thanks

The other thing is that pekins are super prone to issues with their legs and walking as they age. They're bred to be meat birds and keeping them as pets presents problems - I have had three and sadly know from experience. I recently got a buff and I just love her - maybe get two of them! The other breed I am currently in love with is the fawn and white runner. They are really small, so no leg issues - although her legs were shaky as she grew and I supplemented her with niacin, but the two I have had are so super sweet and friendly.

Oops, and they are quiet. One of my remaining pekins is loud and one is quiet. I do think it depends on the individual duck. I have one duclair who is super loud and one who is super quiet. But my Buff and my runners have all been quiet.

The other thing is that pekins are super prone to issues with their legs and walking as they age. They're bred to be meat birds and keeping them as pets presents problems - I have had three and sadly know from experience. I recently got a buff and I just love her - maybe get two of them! The other breed I am currently in love with is the fawn and white runner. They are really small, so no leg issues - although her legs were shaky as she grew and I supplemented her with niacin, but the two I have had are so super sweet and friendly.
Yeah, the Pekins do definitely have leg issues and highly prone to them. They also take longer to heal as well.

I have some bad luck with runners. I have 3 and they are year and half, and 2 have had prolapses. I love their personalities, but I am not sure I would want them again either.

My other breeds have been overall healthy.

Back
Top Bottom