How Loud Are Pekins??

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by cluckcluck42, Jul 12, 2010.

1. cluckcluck42

cluckcluck42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2009
    Quebec
    I have two roosters, so I guess compared to them how loud are they? Our neighbours are not too far and already tolerate the chicken noise.

I am getting three unsexed year old pekins. Hurray for duckies!!! [​IMG]

2. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Pekin hens are LOUD.

3. MysticalMom

MysticalMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    I have 6. They're louder than my other 20+ ducks put together. Louder even than my Appleyards and I thought THEY were loud.[​IMG]

4. cluckcluck42

cluckcluck42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2009
    Quebec
    aaah you know I had done lots of research before buying pekins, but never thought to google "how loud are Pekins?" Too late now! haha!

So are they louder than ROOSTERS!??!! :O

5. Sequin

Sequin Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Maybe mine are still young, about 4 months, but they barely do that much talking. They only really talk when strangers are in the yard. They are paired with two Khakis, who are also pretty quiet.

6. Born A Duck Lover

Born A Duck Lover Out Of The Brooder

Jun 5, 2010
    Western Oregon
    Hurray for duckies!!!

Truer words were never spoken! Hurray! Hurray! Hurray![​IMG]

7. mommyofthree

mommyofthree Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2010
    I have one pekin and a pekin/runner cross. They are both females and are soooo loud!!! They quack just as loud as my lab can bark, but I think they ducks are more obnoxious. LOL They don't quack that often though.....mainly when they see us coming outside, or when we have to chase them back home from the neighbor's yard. [​IMG]

8. noriko

noriko Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2008
    N E Pennsylvania
    My pekins were loud! but I think most of my ducks are LOUD. No matter what you will love them lol Noriko.

9. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    In order of loudness (my experience)

1. Pekin
    2. Buff
    3. Rouen
    4. Khaki
    5. Runner
    6. Welsh Harlequin

These are the only breeds I have experience with. I think calls are even louder than the Pekins. My buff was so loud I had to sell her to keep the neighbors from killing me! My wh CAN be noisy at times but are generally pretty calm. My runner would sometimes just quack her head off for an hour for no reason [​IMG]

10. newchickmom09

newchickmom09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2009
    ARIZONA
    My swedish mix is LOUD and will just quack her head off for no reason. [​IMG] She is just as loud as my Jersey Giant roos were, it is just a different loud noise. My friends pekins sound just the same to give you an idea.

ETA at a year old you will be able to tell the sex by looking and listening to them.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by