1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How loud do banty roosters crow?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by PtldChick, Jul 4, 2011.

1. PtldChick

PtldChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Portland, OR
    I can't have roosters (due to crowing) but I was wondering if banties have a full crow, or something less I might be able to get away with. [​IMG]

Thanks

Last edited: Jul 4, 2011
  2. DancingHen

DancingHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Central Oregon Coast
    I had a silkie roo for awhile that had a very loud crow, and I have a mille fleur d'uccle roo right now that has a loud crow and he likes to crow ALL DAY! Sorry. In my experience the little bantam boys can be just as loud as the standard roosters.

3. ChooksinChoppers

ChooksinChoppers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    Ocala, Florida.
    Yes our Silkie roo is very loud! then other two Cochin roos join in with their feeble attempts...then he crows louder....arrrgh I cant find a new home for the two Cochin boys (tried everywhere)

4. arenea74

arenea74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2011
    I had a mutt banty. He was loud enough to annoy the neighbors [​IMG]

5. cluckridgefarm

cluckridgefarm Out Of The Brooder

My frizzle bantam rooster is pretty loud...we live on about 3/4 of an acre and their coop is in the backyard about 30 feet from the house....and when we are in the front yard...we barely hear him. My mom had a RIR rooster and my little bantam could certainly compete!

6. axion_lotus

axion_lotus Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2011
    Central NC
    My silkie cockerel, Tsuki, could wake the dead with his crowing once he gets started. [​IMG]

7. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    All of my bantams have crows just as loud as full size roosters. It's just a higher pitched screech! VERY annoying. [​IMG]

8. bufforp89

bufforp89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Chenango Forks NY
    My bantams are way worst then my big chickens...they crow all day and its really high pitched...they are also fond of doing the 'oh no its danger!' for long periods of time [​IMG]

9. stilldeb

stilldeb Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    NW Kentucky
    My Silky roo, Harry, crows so loud he could wake the dead, and is so very proud of himself he crows whenever the mood strikes him, all day long. My little black Cochin frizzle roo, Freddy, doesn't crow quite so loudly though.

deb g

10. Carrie Lynn

Carrie Lynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    S.E. Michigan
    My banty BR would crow in the morning and throughout the day, it was a shrill crow and louder than you'd expect from so small a chicken.
    Fortunately I was able to rehome him, that was a stroke of luck. I would not recomend trying to keep one "under cover". It won't be long before the whole neighborhood knows he's there. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 4, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by