How loud is a rooster's crow compared to-

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Becky_H, May 8, 2009.

1. Becky_H

Becky_H Chillin' With My Peeps

A large parrot's scream? I ask because I already have an amazon who screams like a cockatoo, and my childhood was spent with a cockatoo in the house. I'm wondering if a rooster is something that's actually going to startle me, or if I should expect pretty smooth sailing since my ears are already battered from bird screeches.

And if you don't know, compare the volume of a rooster crowing to something (anything) else. Not because it's important, mind, but because I'm really curious.

2. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    Have you heard a Jet engine??? What type of rooster, are we talking a real rooster such as a Barred Rock, or Buckeye, or a wimpy rooster such as a OEGB, or Silkie ? [​IMG]

3. Becky_H

Quote:How close is the jet?

And both! or compare them. How much difference is there?

[​IMG]

4. Sunny the Hippie Chick

Sunny the Hippie Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    Brookings Oregon
    There is a rooster about 5 or 6 blocks away from me. Yes in town. I was told our town your allowed to have a rooster if none of the close neigbors complain.. I guess there is two roosters on that same street, at different houses.. Well early in the morning.. I can faintly hear him.. But no one else in my house had heard him.. I guess that is because I am the only one that takes the dogs out that early.. LOL

Edited to add.. You may go to a County Fair and go to the poultry barn. You will hear roosters there. That might give you a real idea of how loud they are.. Just an idea..

Last edited: May 8, 2009
  5. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    Quote:How close is the jet?

And both! or compare them. How much difference is there?

[​IMG]

Real rooster you can hear for quite a distance, wimpy rooster sounds like a real roosters first attempt at crowing, just never got better.

Now Longcrowers are another story in themselves. But lets not go there, you have to see that on U-tube to believe it.

6. Becky_H

Quote:I'll just be going off to youtube to check this out. Sounds interesting, at least.

7. SarahFair

SarahFair Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2008
    Monroe, Ga
    My Jersey Giant roo isnt too loud. I cant hear him from the inside of the house unless its quiet..

8. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

To me personally the crow of a rooster is far, far more tolerable then the horrible screams of large parrots. Yeah they can be loud but it's not that bad. Just to clarify, we're not talking him being in the house with you are we?

9. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Ha! My little sebrights are LOUD! We can here them even in the house.

10. Becky_H

Quote:The roosters? NO.
    The parrot? Yes.

And yeah, there's something really abrasive about the sound. It just... sounds jagged and sharp.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by