how loud is loud..

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by frizzleman74, Jun 5, 2011.

1. frizzleman74

frizzleman74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2010
    Fairfield County
    when you guys say my pekins or call ducks are "loud" how loud is it. Like a quack the equivelent of a roosters crow? Just need some help on quiet ducks other than muscovies and i really like pekins, rouens, cayugas, and welsh harlequins

2. 70%cocoa

70%cocoa Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Canberra, Australia
    I've got Swedish. When they do a loud quack it's one that can still be heard about 100yards away on a quiet morning. I'd say that it's about as loud as a small dog barking. They do their loud quack when they see me and want to get out of their pen, or when one of them gets separated from the group when they are out in the yard. So, not very often, maybe a few times a day.

At night I shut mine into an insulated duck house and that muffles the sound a lot, plus they just stay a lot quieter. They are right outside my bedroom window and I have no troubles sleeping. I let them out at 7.30am during the week and 8am on weekends. If they quack during the day then I don't see that as a problem, it's just part of the background noiuse of urban life. I live in the suburbs with houses all around me. I have 8 ducks (two of which are drakes).

3. frizzleman74

frizzleman74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2010
    Fairfield County
    oh okay, how often do you think a female pekin would be quacking away, anyone from experience?...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by