How loud is the egg song--for real

Hollywood Chickens

Songster
10 Years
Mar 12, 2009
Florida
Many of you are worried about how loud your hens are--for real not preferences.

Well I have how loud they are for real! Decibels measure noise. I bought a decibel meter at Radioshack and did a little bit of experimenting and I found this.

A leghorn hen at the peak of her egg song is: 78 Db
Average clucking is around: 60-63 Db
A wood privacy lowers the sound by: 15 Db

The EPA Identified that noise of 55Db outside and 45 Db inside is annoying.
http://www.epa.gov/history/topics/noise/01.htm

Here is a decibel calculator so that you can see if it bothers your neighbor for real or if they are just being a pain.
http://www.daycounter.com/Calculators/Decibels-Calculator.phtml

With these tools we calculated that our neighbor who suing us (most of have read the news articles) for noise, does not have a claim, because it is 45 Db outside her bedroom (her main complete) and at most 30 inside (she has hurricane windows), to give you an idea a quite library is 55 Db and the air conditioner is 55 Db.

thumbsup.gif
Good Job!

I never would have thought of getting a decibel meter.
What a great way to combat a complaining neighbor.
Hope you win your case.

They are loud enough that I finally said to my husband years ago, "Well, why not have a rooster? He can't be any louder than these caterwauling hens when they get going! Everyone knows there are chickens up here on the hill!". That's how loud they are.
roll.png
Love 'em anyway, but yeah, those girls can sure set up a ruckus!

Quote:
In our coop, it starts with one singing and grows until even the roosters are in on it...talk about loud! Thank goodness we are in the country and our neighbors find it funny! the first few times the chorus started, we all came out of the house thinking we had a predator!
big_smile.png

Having lived in a busy area of Chicago years ago, these noise conversations always amuse me a little. I'll take country noise any day, even including gunfire, the neighbor's backhoe, road graders, passing farm equipment, and 4 wheelers, not to mention several neighbors with roosters.

In the end, I feel we are awakened or annoyed by noises that we resist or don't like, and not bothered by those we accept. I never hear my roosters when I am asleep, though one hen singing the egg song when I am awake comes through loud and clear. But then I like the local noises.

And thanks for the research and measurements, OP!

Quote:
Exactly! The tractor noise from down the hill is so loud, we have to shut our doors to hear ourselves think when they're mowing. The country isn't quiet and why city folks think it is is beyond me. I also love my roosters (and everyone else's) crowing.

Quote:
Exactly! The tractor noise from down the hill is so loud, we have to shut our doors to hear ourselves think when they're mowing. The country isn't quiet and why city folks think it is is beyond me. I also love my roosters (and everyone else's) crowing.

This is so true! I always think the country is so much quieter. I hear planes going by every 15 minutes and yes, those chickens sure can get loud! I have 7 neighbors about 30 feet away from me and am constantly worried that they will complain. Many times I go out there to tell them to be quiet. The chickens that is.
wink.png

That is great info. Will definitely keep it to show people how loud hens get when they ask.

Mary

Back
Top Bottom