How Loud will a Silkie Roo Crow??!!

chickens4jojo

Songster
11 Years
May 26, 2008
Upstate South Carolina
One of my new silkies that I hatched at Easter has started to crow at 8 weeks! I think is is a cool non-bothersome crow & he does not (yet) crow early in the morning & it seems to be very infrequent (so far)

But...will he become a nuisance with his crowing or does it stay rather mild like it is now? I love to hear it, but I have neighbors I don't want to disturb!!
roll.png

Should I find him a new home??

I can't imagine a Silkie crowing very loud. My Cochin roos are not very loud and some mornings don't crow until about 9 a.m but I also heard them yesterday morning when I was up at 4 a.m. heading out to a show.
I only just had some Silkies hatch out so I am not sure how loud they can be but I suspect it shouldn't cause you any problems.
If so, let me know. I'll drive over and get him. I am on the county line next to Spartanburg. Gotta love the Silkies!
jumpy.gif

My silkie rooster sounds more like he is gargling than crowing and he is a year old. I think most silkie roosters make you want to laugh at them when they crow. I would not worry about it too much
smile.png

I have had lots of silkie roosters! One was obnoxious! The others were not bad. Comical if you will. Here is a link to a video of a couple of mine crowing. LOL Be prepared to laugh. I thought that sounded like a baying sheep.
gig.gif
lau.gif

http://s293.photobucket.com/albums/mm42/chareiadawn/?action=view&current=HPIM3479.flvI
In the back ground you can hear my frizzles and standard roosters. At the time I think I had 12 roosters. :eek: It was very noisy around here.

We had a Silkie roo "Motorcycle" until last year. We even brought him to our city house and no one thought anything of him. His crow was definitely more muffled than any of the other roos we've had. We now have 2 roos that are his offspring and are Siklie/ Buff Orpington and Silkie/ Barred Rock mixes. Their crows are way louder and deeper and longer! I wouldn't worry too much!
Blessings,
Amy J.

Thanks so much for all the great posts! I think I will keep him then. He is the friendliest of all & I am thrilled with him. I only have 4 silkies (so far!) so maybe I'll get some fertile eggs now?! How cool that would be.
jumpy.gif

BTW his name was "Vivian" until a couple of weeks ago. Think I'll wait a few months B4 I name my chicks now!
ep.gif

My silkie rooster is the greatest. A customer brought me 2- 8 week old chicks recently (a BR&BO) because he had too many (as if i dont) and when i introduced them to the flock, the silkie rooster started feeding them as if they were his own
smile.png
I wish i knew how to post video because he is so funny to listen to
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom