How Low Can humidity go after pipping and Still Hatch?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Bantam Username, Sep 11, 2011.

1. Bantam Username

Bantam Username Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2011
    Wiltshire, UK
    I'm having a hell of a time with the humidity in my r com mini. Its supposed to regulate humidity itself but it was only at 48%.
    I had a pip and so had to open the incubator to put a wet paper towel in which then started to bring the humidity up too high, so then I had to take it out and put in adry paper towel to stop it spiking, then had to take the dry one out to stabilize it. All this when I shouldn't even be opening the darn thing once! Now humidity is down to 70% and I expect it will keep dropping, what can I do? [​IMG]

2. pete55

pete55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Suffolk, UK
    Hi

At this stage with the first one pipped you should be on a higher humidity. Have you checked your other 2 eggsto seeif they've internally or externally pipped?

You need to increase the surface area of water, e.g a soaked (clean) cloth or sponge. Try to keep at 70% and check your vents are not full open, closing thema bit willraise your humidity.

Pete [​IMG]

3. Bantam Username

Aug 3, 2011
    Wiltshire, UK
    My vent isn't adjustable, the water is in an enclosed compartment inside the workings of the incubator and can't be reached, when I put a wet paper towel in, the humidity went too high. There are no external pips on the other 2 eggs yet but I don't want to have to keep opening the incubator, can you see the problems I'm having? [sigh] [​IMG]

4. Bantam Username

Aug 3, 2011
    Wiltshire, UK
    Aaaargh, just checked again and blasted humidity had gone down to 51%!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm gonna have a heart attack trying to keep this humidity stable! I feel like having a tantrum and giving up! Why does nothing ever do what its supposed to???!!!! [​IMG]

5. Bantam Username

Aug 3, 2011
    Wiltshire, UK
    Can't seem to get it up again past 58%. Looks like I'll be peeling shrink wrapped chicks at some point. [​IMG]

6. pete55

Feb 19, 2011
    Suffolk, UK
    Just try and keep it stable at around 60%. I can see your problems and often the small units are difficult to control. Just hang in there as you may well get a result yet.

Pete [​IMG]

7. Bantam Username

Aug 3, 2011
    Wiltshire, UK
    It has crept up to 60% so fingers so very crossed right now! Thanks. [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. pete55

Feb 19, 2011
    Suffolk, UK
    Best of luck with them and maybe you'll have one hatch soon [​IMG]

9. MuckyPuppy

MuckyPuppy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    UK
    I just wanted to wish you good luck with your hatch and keeping the humidity around 60%. [​IMG]

BTW, your in the same county as we are - Wilts. Monday is our eldest son's birthday. Maybe he'll be sharing it with a chick or two. [​IMG] [​IMG]

Edited to mess with the smilies. [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 11, 2011
  10. Bantam Username

Aug 3, 2011
    Wiltshire, UK
    Thanks, humidity is now at 61% so seems to have stabilized. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by