how low can the top vent opening be?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Lisa202, Sep 5, 2010.

1. Lisa202

Lisa202 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2010
    Long Island NY
    I just got my new coop and the top ventilation opening (about 5" by 4') is not far up from the top roost bar, only 11" (the roost bar is about 10" away from that wall). If I had standard chickens, I feel the air would be at their heads. The pics showed that the top ventilation opening was a little under the roof, but my opening is about 19" down from the ceiling. Is this too low? Or maybe it's lower so that the heat at the ceiling doesn't leave in the winter, but then the summer heat won't leave either. The vent opening has a door that can open and close. On the opposite side of the coop there are 2 windows that open also.

Ok...I finally was able to post this picture...what do you think about the top vent being too low? You can close it from the outside.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 8, 2010
  2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Pictures would really help with advice in this case, because it's a bit confusing...lol.

How do the vents close? Is there a door flap (to the vents) on the outside that can be lowered/shut?? Obviously you want ventilation in the winter, but not cold air blowing on the birds... Can air actually blow IN the vents (in winter time), or are they built so that would be unlikely? If cold air could/can blow in, I'd lower the roosts about 6 inches. That sounds like the simplist fix IMO.

Not sure why the vents aren't up higher, as keeping heat in in winter really isn't beneficial up that high either, as the roosts aren't up that high [​IMG]

3. 2txmedics

2txmedics Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Manvel Texas
    Im not sure on Ventilation but this is what I did for mine and my roosts are directly behind this opening, they get to see out onto the yard
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

and most days if its nice I keep the door open in winter I close it and put a board out of the door...so only the opening of the board holding open for them to go in and out is there...and I also have two red lights for winter, for warmth...hope this helps. Other than that its closed and I have a total of 17 in the flock

Now if it storms with heavy winds and rain...I keep it open with the board, if we are having a hurricane I close it all up.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2010
  4. Schultz

Schultz CluckN'Crow Farm

Aug 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Yeah, I'd say either lower your roosts or put vents up higher. You could still leave the existing vents for summer time use and just keep them shut for the winter. I do agree with needing a picture to give you the proper advice.

5. Lisa202

Aug 20, 2010
    Long Island NY
    Thanks so much for the advise. I'll take a photo (hope I can post it) I think making another vent higher up and having 2 is a good idea. I do know that you still need to use the vent in the winter and this low vent would cause air to be right above the chickens heads.

6. Lisa202

Aug 20, 2010
    Long Island NY
    ok....the photo is now shown in my original post. Lowering the roosts seems more than difficult, putting another vent up higher looks impossible. Is this really too low, or am I worrying for nothing. It is 11" higher than the high roost bar.

Please advise.

7. kcsunshine

kcsunshine Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2009
    Maryville, Tennessee
    Since you're in NY and it gets bitterly cold, I would think the ventilation is too low. Even if you can close it off, you still need ventilation to keep your coop dry. Try putting some vents up near the roof line ( or a roof ridge vent) - doesn't have to be as big is the one you have now - several small ones would do. Then you could keep the one you have now to cool them off in the summer.

8. OregonChickenGal

OregonChickenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    Central Oregon
    By the looks of the picture, you may be able to put a small vent at the peak of the roof. Above the pop door.

9. Schultz

Schultz CluckN'Crow Farm

Aug 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Quote:yep, after seeing the picture, I'd go with putting one at the peak. BTW, your coop looks very nice!
    ETA, I would think about insulating it if it were me. Even if you don't put a heat source in there it will help to keep it warmer in there.

10. Lisa202

Aug 20, 2010
    Long Island NY
    ok great...thanks for the input. That's what I was worrying about.

The vent that I would put over the pop door at the roof peak...can be one of those vents you see on a house with slats, or should it be something I can close?

and thanks, I love my coop. I got it from Horizon Structures. I looks all nice and clean...not for long

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by