How low can they go??

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by birdnutz, Nov 15, 2007.

1. birdnutz

birdnutz Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2007
    wyoming
    When do you need to be worried about cold temps with call ducks? It got to the low teens last night. They're all frost covered and not happy. Just wondering.

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Mine prefer to be outside no matter the weather it seems. They have a dog house that I herd them into when the windchills are forecast to be single digits and/or lots of snow is forecast. If I didn't do that they almost never go in on their own. I do try to keep some dry hay for them to snuggle in outside in their pen and also I make sure to have a windbreak for them.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2007
  3. okiechick57

okiechick57 Chillin' With My Peeps

I did the same thing as Katy, gave mine a dog house to go into....they don't seem to ever go in on there own....its not freezing here yet though. I also put out some straw for them to snuggle in.so far....they dont use it either? guess they will know whats best for them?

4. birdnutz

birdnutz Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2007
    wyoming
    This is what we have for them right now. 2 year project so far. Going to add a coop to the far end. We've run out of time.So we'll have to tarp the rest of the top for the winter again.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    Housing poultry in a greenhouse over winter is a spectacularly successful model. It keeps them snuggly and warm, plus the deep litter heats up keeping their feet warm too. Then once you move them out in Spring, you will have the best crops you have ever grown inside on the manure they leave. It's in my farm plan to eventually build a greenhouse for overwintering the hens.

6. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Nice....when you're done with yours you can build one for me!! [​IMG]

7. bantymum

bantymum Chillin' With My Peeps

wow, thats a mansion, beautiful job!!!
    I think ducks can survive the winter well, I guess you just watch the wild ducks in your area and see how they cope!!
    theres a pic here somewhere of ducks in the snow!
    Im sure they dont feel the cold like chickens!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by