How low/long of a temp dip is dangerous?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by NaomiSarah, Jul 11, 2010.

1. NaomiSarah

NaomiSarah Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2010
    *sigh*I'm not cooking my eggs, this time, but I woke up with temps at 94 degrees. They were only that low for a few hours, but is that low of a temp dip dangerous? For the Chickens, I mean, I know with the robins its kinda a crapshoot.

2. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

I do not know the exact time that it would take to affect the chick.

Recently (two days ago) I had a broody leave the nest with her chicks. Normally I candle the remaining eggs and discard or put in the bator depending upon what I see. This time I goofed and did not candle for hours - got busy with other stuff. When I gathered the eggs, they were cool to the touch, but one was pipping! The hen had settle down for the evening on the chicks, so I slipped the pipping egg back under her. The pipping egg hatched. A second egg is now in the bator - another hen snuck an egg in the nest and it is about a week behind the hatched chicks.

No help I know - but I would not give up on the clutch.

3. NaomiSarah

NaomiSarah Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2010
    I candled - my two-weekers seem fine except a little slow-moving, which I think is understandable if they got cool, but they are alive and I really hope they aren't traumatized from it. My husband messed with the furnace, apparently, and my home made incubators dont compensate for that *grumble*

4. crossedwires

crossedwires Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2010
    depends how far along they were if they were past say day 12 then a couple of hours at that temp shouldnt do anymore than retard the hatch a little, overheating in my experiance is a bigger killer than a few hours chilling, but there is alot of factors to consider like what stage are the eggs at etc. best guess from me would be they should be fine

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by