How many 2 by 4's does it take to build a coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by chicken_angler, Dec 14, 2008.

1. chicken_angler

chicken_angler Coop Constructist

Jun 23, 2008
    a house
    I might be thinking about building a coop that is about 10 by 15. Roughly, how many 2 by 4's would it take to build something like that? I want to section off the inside for different breeds

Thanks!

Cody!!

2. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    I suggest that you take a few sheets of graph paper and draw your own blueprints. It's really not that hard, if you have some basic math skills, to figure out how many you would need and how long they should be.

My first search result on Google for "shed framing" resulted in this page, which you could probably use as a guide:

http://www.designer-shed-plans.com/free_construction_guide.htm

3. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    Give us a little more information, are you planning on putting on 16 or 24 inch centers, how tall, are you wanting floor joists inclueded, are you planning to build you own rafters, buy those seperate? The 2x4s will probably be your least expensive part its the plywood/T111 that will hit you most.

4. chicken_angler

Jun 23, 2008
    a house
    I am thinking of making the sides at 5 ft. and bringing them up to a 6 ft. tall ceiling. I think I want to space them at 24 inches apart. I will make my own rafters. My dad is very good at carpentry and so am I. I might see hom much bent or crooked 2 by 4s are at home depot or lowes.

5. orcasislandchickens

orcasislandchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    Well This is a good math problem, and it will be you that has to work it out. Drawing up plans, and calculating materials is part of life, and you will find that if you draw the plans out, and do the math, life will get easier and cheaper too, since others will not be easily able to overcharge you.

I'll help you get started. To help you decide whether you can afford what you want or not, start with what you think you want and do a guestimate.

If it is a frame that is wire covered, you can put them 4' or 5' apart depending on the width of the wire.

If it is a building you can usually get away with 24 inches from center to center.

Plywood, siding, etc. comes in 4'x8' (4 foot by eight foot) sheets, so if your dimensions are multiples of that it is easier and you save on materials. So 10x16 isn't likely to cost much more than 10x15.

6. chicken_angler

Jun 23, 2008
    a house
    I am trying to use google sketch up but it is hard to do. So far I think I am going to need about 30 or more?

7. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    You might also want to figure in supports for nest boxes in each of the sections.... and materials for the nest boxes too.

And don't forget the roosts!

8. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Quote:If you are going to have plywood on the outside. MORE.

We have faith that you can do the math!

9. Marlinchaser

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    if you go with 10 x 16 just for wall frameing you are looking at 62 assumming you double the top rail, if planning on doing a wooden floor plan close to 100 2x4x 8

I fully agree with doing in multiples of 4 to save on plywood, or at least mutlples of 2

12 x 14 or 10 x 16 should give you more space, and should use same or less lumber because the odd foot will just give you more waste.

10. Marlinchaser

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    Another sudjestion Look into price of 2x10 and 2x 12 if you plan to have 5 and 6 foot walls you would cut these in half and use both sides or end up cutting 2 or 3 feet off a 8 footer and have quite a bit of waste.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by