How many ages can I keep together?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by SarahIrl, May 11, 2010.

1. SarahIrl

SarahIrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    West Cork, Ireland
    I have a purpose built shed 6 foot by 6 foot for my impending arrivals (due next week to hatch), can I put in new eggs straight away and transfer the chicks in again when they hatch? Is three weeks too much difference in age for the same coop? I can hang two heat lamps, and keep little chicks away from the bigger ones but want to avoid that if possible. I plan to let the chicks have the run of the shed by two weeks old anyway. So, they'll be five weeks and two weeks. The brooder I have is only three and a half feet by one and a half. And at what age can I let them outside for a couple of hours when it's dry and warm?

2. SarahIrl

SarahIrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    West Cork, Ireland
    bump

3. arabianequine

arabianequine Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    Quote:I put mine out a four weeks so I think pretty much they can stay out when all their feathers are in which is about four weeks.

I don't think I would mix them at those ages....I have seen at the feed store the chicks looked the same age and having a feast of the blood on each others back pecking away....they needed to do something about it....but just imagine the damage that could happen in the difference of three weeks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by