How many AMPS are you putting into your 12 volt DC power antenna coop door opener?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by jimmywalt, Aug 7, 2013.

1. jimmywalt

jimmywalt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2013
    I built a automatic coop door as described in many threads on this website. I used two 12 volt DC/1 amp power supplies.

The door worked great for about 10 days before I found that the antenna didn't retract one morning. Upon further troubleshooting I found that one of my power supplies (that pulls the door open - lowers the power antenna) went bad. I replaced it with another and after 2 days that one went bad as well.

My problem has to be one of two things -

1. The antenna can't fully open because the size of my coop and how the door closes doesn't allow. So could that be the problem? - OR -

2. Am I using the wrong amount of AMPS in the power supply? One guy says use 5 amps, another said 3.7 works fine, mine did work for 10 days with only 1 amp..... So I just don't know.

If you have one of these doors, what size power supplies are you using? Or if you don't have this door - any guess how many amps the antenna needs on a regular basis to go up and down?

Or is my problem because after 10 days the antenna was tired of not being able to open all the way and killed my power supply?

NOTE: I've tried a new power supply - third one (same specs) and the antenna works fine. So I'm sure that it's not the motor or something within the antenna.

HELP!

Thank you.

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    The specs on the antenna should specify wattage or amperage required to operate.

3. jimmywalt

jimmywalt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2013
    Unfortunately it came from a junkyard and they don't have any printed specs on it. All it has is the following and I didn't have any luck with this on Google"

Delco 1650 166 83

Relay
    Z-7365
    D 3153

Antenna
    158 93

4. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by